View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
Carbur8tr

Name: Carbur8tr
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
My theory is break it in like the factory would, and though it's probably something that's kept under wraps, one could speculate that even the testing in the facility is brief and more for just confirming that the engine turns over and maybe runs within a few specs. Hence why the manual has a "break-in recommendation" section. If they took forever testing and breaking in every single engine I couldn't see them being able to crank them out so quickly.

I think it boils down to assembly lube and a good prime prior to starting the engine up The break in will naturally occur through driving and heat cycling. As long as everything is assembled properly, everything should be fine on the first start up and no excessive wear should occur.

The length of time it takes is essentially what you're playing with in regards to coolant or no coolant. Heat can help seat rings, but obviously there will be a point of diminishing returns. The risk is not worth it and at the end of the day you're not going to see a difference one way or another (provided you do either correctly). Run it with coolant and put a load on the truck. Everything should seat quicker that way.
01, 110lb springs, studs, Gen 1 Airdog,60/68/14 non-gated, BD intercooler,DFI 7x.009, HO*VP, Carli 3' coils and control arms, DT ProFab trac bar, Red Head Steering gear, steering stabilizer, maxx links,*08.5 steering upgrade