rust killer

Smoking S

Whats the best option out there? Im redoing a wrecker body. Im going to sandblast it. Apply rust killer and maybe undercoat it. Amazing how they dont paint the underside of these new.

I've used the loctite brand
cb648c7f8a87a4a8fefa5ae29a96e96d.jpg

It's okay.. from what I've read it chemically converts or stops the spread .. Goes on real thin , milky white and dries black .
I've also used Por , but I never used their acid etch . I just wire wheeled the parts , cleaned , rinsed and applied . It held up for a couple years but recently started peeling .
I really want to try the magnet paints chassis saver next time I pull the bed . Supposedly doesn't require the prep that Por does with a better outcome

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

POR is a great product... only if you get a perfect application. Rust Bullet seems to be much more forgiving. If you plan on blasting it I'd put my money on RB.

you can remove rust mechanically, chemically or with electrolysis if you can get the whole part in a bath.
Phosphoric acid based treatments convert rust into black iron phosphate. Works real good on getting into the pits that blasting doesnt get all of.
Tannic acid products look sorta purple and leave a thicker film when theyre done. I dont really like these as much myself.
-Anything- you apply to steel is only as good as how well it covers the -entire- part. any chip that exposes the metal allows water and oxygen under the coating and allows the process to start all over again.

Id do all your repairs, and use fluid film inside all your rockers, cab corners, fenders and undercarriage if you live in the rust belt. search online if you want to try it out. I think I paid like 50$ a gallon? I forget. It looks like custard and smells kinda like peppermint. use an undercoating gun and a flex wand to get inside panels.

I use gemplers and apply it with a garden sprayer to our fertelizer buggies.

You lost me there. What is the product you spray? I'm assuming it is similar to fluidfilm.

Edit: I see they sell fluidfilm.

Last edited:
Back