WMO in a common rail

suckfumes1984

Diesel is my crack
I have used WMO in many diesels sucessfully but have never tried it in a common rail. What percentage would be safe as long as its filteres verry good. 10%? 20%? I know I cant run a 50/ 50 blend just trying to cut fuel costs a little.

Unless you remove all the carbon don't even dream of it. I've been there, done it and can tell you that even a 1 micron filter does not clean it good enough.

Also what about waste hydraulic oil that is still golden in color? I can get a good bit of 10 weight hydraulic oil from where I work. I am selective of what oil I take too.

I have always wanted to try a centrifuge never had the loot to buy a good one I think it could possibly work but after I ruined a set of common rail injectors I gave up although it does work good in an inline fuel system

A friend of mine ran his oil thru a centrifuge twice, and ran it in his duramax at around 25%. About 10,000 miles later, injectors took retirement. Alot of his oil was atf. He thought being thinner oil it should work if it was clean.

If you disassemble a CR injector you'll find a ball and seat. The ball is so small that if you don't know its there you'll most likely lose it. The hole it seats in is smaller yet. Any contaminants in the fuel will erode the seat causing an imbalance in fuel delivery rate. OEM puts 5-7 micron filters on trucks with CR fuel systems. They know the injector can take this amount of dirt for approx 100-150k miles or just until warranty is over.

Last edited:
A friend of mine ran his oil thru a centrifuge twice, and ran it in his duramax at around 25%. About 10,000 miles later, injectors took retirement. Alot of his oil was atf. He thought being thinner oil it should work if it was clean.

What kind of centrifuge?

stick with regular diesel fuel in a CR motor. With how expensive these fuel systems are, i wouldnt be experimenting to try and save a couple bucks...

I have used WMO in many diesels sucessfully but have never tried it in a common rail. What percentage would be safe as long as its filteres verry good. 10%? 20%? I know I cant run a 50/ 50 blend just trying to cut fuel costs a little.
I have been running waste oils as diesel fuel for 5.5 years. I have found blending WMO, or WVO with gasoline at 20% works great in my engine, but WMO tends to coke my injectors.

I am on several alternative diesel fuels forums. Those who have little to no trouble burning WMO blend gasoline with it at 20% and run it on common rail engines with turbochargers.

I have been running waste oils as diesel fuel for 5.5 years. I have found blending WMO, or WVO with gasoline at 20% works great in my engine, but WMO tends to coke my injectors.

I am on several alternative diesel fuels forums. Those who have little to no trouble burning WMO blend gasoline with it at 20% and run it on common rail engines with turbochargers.

Do NOT listen to this guy. Of course youve been running 20% unleaded in your 6.2 diesel. The reason you can is because thats a friggin gas motor basically so of course it will burn unleaded just fine.

As to common rails, run clean regular ULSD. Theyre WAY too precise on the american engines to have extra crap in the fuel.

If you can't afford to put real fuel in your cr sell it and buy something like a idi Ford or similar dinosaur then you can run your witches brew all ya want.cr fuel systems are so expensive why screw around? One set of injectors crap out and there's your fuel savings in the scrap can,take an injector completely apart and put it back together again and see if you can make it work right, if you can't you have zero business giving tech advice on cr fuel systems.in other words,if your not a expert keep your mouth shut,you could cost alot of folks a lot of money. Just my 10 cents..........

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Do NOT listen to this guy. Of course youve been running 20% unleaded in your 6.2 diesel. The reason you can is because thats a friggin gas motor basically so of course it will burn unleaded just fine.

As to common rails, run clean regular ULSD. Theyre WAY too precise on the american engines to have extra crap in the fuel.

Actually, my 1983 G-20 van was built in Canada and came with a 6.2L Detroit Diesel engine in it from the factory.
...take an injector completely apart and put it back together again and see if you can make it work right, if you can't you have zero business giving tech advice on cr fuel systems.in other words,if your not a expert keep your mouth shut,you could cost alot of folks a lot of money. Just my 10 cents..........

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
You mean, like the photo below. Yesterday I took my injectors apart and cleaned them. Today I will pop test them, then replace the set that is in the engine.
The top disassembled injector is after cleaning the bottom injector is before cleaning.
injector03352.jpg

Last edited:
You mean, like the photo below. Yesterday I took my injectors apart and cleaned them. Today I will pop test them, then replace the set that is in the engine.
The top disassembled injector is after cleaning the bottom injector is before cleaning.
injector03352.jpg

I'm pretty sure he meant a CR injector!

beyond, as in beyond a frigin clue when it comes to CR, stop giving bad advice to guys with 6 injectors that are worth more than your entire van, unless of course you are going to buy them a new set when their injectors take a crap, or the cp3 checks out.

beyond, as in beyond a frigin clue when it comes to CR, stop giving bad advice to guys with 6 injectors that are worth more than your entire van, unless of course you are going to buy them a new set when their injectors take a crap, or the cp3 checks out.
If you are interested in burning WMO on a common rail diesel engine, then you can always check the Diesel Stop dot com, or the Diesel Place dot com for plenty of reports from people who burn WMO on a daily basis on common rail diesel engines of various makes. You need not take the advice of those who have never burned WMO on any kind of diesel engine.

Here is the spray pattern from my recently rebuilt IDI diesel injector
poptest03422.jpg

Back