hand shaking with the 10s

It would be nice to have a sequential transmission like the rally cars for drag racing. IF one was built to handle diesel torque it would be a nice thing to have. Doubt that day will ever come

I would build one of these in a heart beat.
I would also eventually love to have a super fast truck with a lenco or similar

buuuut....they aren't H-Pattern Handshakers...

My apologies, somehow I missed that paragraph where he pretty much explained why.

What about using a tall rear gear, wide powerband, and try to minimize shifting? Maybe start in second or third? Idk honestly I’m not a drag racer, I’m just throwing out ideas.

The gearing VS what gears to start in and shifts are something that will be explored if I start to lose hope.

And 1gens are lighter, leave it be and get after it.

Get out of here with your common since! I’m PHAT compared to him, I have a 205 and a 60 under my money pile....

Maybe I fly you out of the swamp and put you to work in the desert with a 4” hole saw!?

I can only think of 2 OEM transmissions that would come close to handling the power you'd need to pull this off, yet not shift like a POS.

GM ZF6 or, possibly, a Viper T-56.

An NV5600 is out, hard shifting POS and it would be a miracle to fix that very, very bad point.

NV4500 has such a wide ratio that I'd be remiss to say it'd be consistent.

G56 belongs in the schit pile, they already have a propensity of breaking cases, killing synchros and breaking gears, nearly STOCK.
I can't imagine what drag racing one with 1500+ horse would be like.

This is my very unbiased opinion. :)

Mark.

Last edited:
I can only think of 2 OEM transmissions that would come close to handling the power you'd need to pull this off, yet not shift like a POS.

GM ZF6 or, possibly, a Viper T-56.

An NV5600 is out, hard shifting POS and it would be a miracle to fix that very, very bad point.

NV4500 has such a wide ratio that I'd be remiss to say it'd be consistent.

G56 belongs in the schit pile, they already have a propensity of breaking cases, killing synchros and breaking gears, nearly STOCK.
I can't imagine what drag racing one with 1500+ horse would be like.

This is my very unbiased opinion. :)

Mark.

I was under the impression that the T56 wouldnt handle the torque/weight.

I won't try any other diesel trans except the NV4500 and ZF6.(I actually have already researched whats involved in putting a ZF6 in my truck cause it seems likely to have to.)

You say 1500+HP...do you think that is the number to get a manual to the 10s?

Here’s how I would do it if money was not an issue

Build the motor to make only HIGH RPM POWER

30” slicks or smaller, none of this 33” crap.

Spin the living crap out of the Motor, torque kills more parts than rpm.

Zf6 swap

2wd swap

Spray all the nitrous.

Start in third gear, wrap out the Motor to 5000rpm and skip shift to fifth

WALA, a one time glory pass of 10.99 or slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’d take fifth off the counter shaft pretty quickly! I would plan for 1000+ hp, all the weight reduction possible. 33”+ slick, 3.55 or higher gear. I would launch in third and just go to fourth and run it out the back door. Like said i think 5th will come off the counter shaft pretty quickly at that power level.

I think you’d take fifth off the counter shaft pretty quickly! I would plan for 1000+ hp, all the weight reduction possible. 33”+ slick, 3.55 or higher gear. I would launch in third and just go to fourth and run it out the back door. Like said i think 5th will come off the counter shaft pretty quickly at that power level.

He would be at about 4600-4700rpm by the end of the track for that.

There was a hair of sarcasm in my post, it only needs to go 10.99 once to shake hands with 10’s. haha

There was a hair of sarcasm in my post, it only needs to go 10.99 once to shake hands with 10’s. haha

While this is very true I hope to do more.LOL

I would love to have a consistent truck hanging just sub 11s but I know that this is a whole other thing then just getting there in the first place.

He would be at about 4600-4700rpm by the end of the track for that.

That would be the plan as long as the engine setup would do it. I used to do the 1-2 shift in my first gen p7100/47re swap between 5,500-5,800. Rpm’s will keep it out of torque keeping everything happier.

Cody the owner of Super Stick transmissions is building a truck he hopes to do this in. There is a dmax with a ZF6 that currently has the power to do it, time will tell.

Back