Heater core restrictor?

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
I think this MAY include both 12 & 24v trucks and would definitely be an issue for folks that still street their pulling trucks(high rpm=high coolant pressure), so I'm posting it here.

I need to replace the heater core in our 24v dually, we're getting coolant in the cab (fun fun).

I talked to a customer of mine that has a 97 12 valve, he said he's replaced 3 heater cores in his truck. Apparently after he replaced the third one he was talking to someone that said a restrictor is made that goes before the inlet of the heater core, which will reduce volume & pressure into the heater core.. and that Cummins equipped Dodges are notorious for blowing heater cores.

Is there any truth to this, and if so where would I get this restrictor? I only want to do this once!

Thanks for any input!

on my truck i put a ball valve on the inlet side of the heater core so i can shut off heat-coolant to the cab and you can restrict its flow by cracking the ball open and still get coolant.

btw have fun changin that heater core out we have a couple units sitting that are complete units blower heater core ac all in good shape if your intersted in that route
jeremy

I guess the best thing for a high Rpm Street/Puller would be to just put a cut off valve on the feed line so you can cut off the coolant pressure when pulling.

Back