View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #1332
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Managed to get the truck back together Friday night at 9pm to race Saturday evening. I had sent the converter off to Phil to have it loosened up and while the converter was gone, peeked into the trans and found the direct clutch pack was burn after 1 pass. Rebuilt it with new clutches and steels. Got the new intercooler mounted in the truck and modified the turbo to intercooler pipe with a 2 1/2" section added into it. Had to build a brand new pipe for the intercooler to intake side. Got all of that together, sensor bungs welded into the new pipe and it all hooked up and sensors installed.

Couldn't get most of the new sensors to read right and ended up putting the my manual pressure gauge back on the trans to test. Not real happy with the altronics data logger software, looks like a 3 year old wrote it, buggy, and doesn't render on the screen right. And getting them to help you out with setup and debugging is a horrible experience.

Race day came and lined up for my first run. Couldn't get the turbo to spool, think I'm just drowning it out with too much fuel, so looking at putting the AFC back onto the pump and working on it to get it dialed in so I can spool it. Never had this issue with my other turbos with the smaller exhaust housings. Took off and it finally spooled in the pit, but couldn't get wheels speed up. Pretty sure I burned direct again. Truck felt like throttle was stuck or something in the pit so I killed it with my normal fuel shut off cable. Got pulled out and towed to the pits. Tried to restart the truck and holy crap, had a run away engine.

Video of run:
https://www.facebook.com/CoaltrainPo...6933507228884/

Managed to get it shut down with the shutoff valve that Arch (Bodacious) gave me at Indy. But guess it put on quite a flame show while I was getting it shut down out of the stack.

Needless to say, the truck is parked. Started washing it here at the house and will get it into the shop this week and start tearing it down to figure out what caused the run away condition.

I checked my data logger record and looked at the good data on the existing sensors I have, it reported I hit 6900 rpm's in the pit, and 55psi of boost.

As it stands right now, think my season is over, 3 races and 3 major breaks. My new engine is still at the machine shop, not sure when it's going to be done. Pistons and rods are still being made. Still have to get some expensive parts for the new engine to get it completed: Cam, cam bearings, new tappets, T6 exhaust housing, and a bunch of other parts. Tired of rushing to make a race and it breaking. Not hauling it anywhere till I have confidence in it again of making a run successfully.

Need to get new engine built. Figure out transmission issues. Figure out reason for run away. Win the lottery...

New intercooler:
Click the image to open in full size.

Burnt direct clutches

PDD supplied me with a bunch of their trans fluid and oil for the truck.

Shutoff valve before I put it on the truck...

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Last edited by NakeDiesel; 07-18-2017 at 09:14 AM.