Best shock absorbers?

Which brand?

• Total voters
Well, its crunch time, I need new shocks, what should I order for my 4wd Mega Cab DRW?

I'm looking at either the KYB or Bilstiens

How do you guys cross-reference between the manufacturer and application?

Meaning, KYB AGX series on a 1st Gen.

Please report back your feelings.....I'd be interested to hear them.

I value Rico's opinion but he deals more with 2wd's not big heavy 4x4's.:thankyou2:

Got them Swapped out. All 4 Shocks were bad, 2 were OEM (Front), and 2 were yellow Bilstiens (Mileage Unknown) The Bilstiens had almost no restriction either way. The OEM ones still had some life left in them surprisingly enough, compression only, no resistance on the rebound...

The KYB's make the truck ride great! Night and day difference. I'll update you every once in a while.

I have rancho 9000XLs on my 02 chevy work truck. The truck weighs 8500lb as I run it and I keep the Ranchos on max stiffness all the time. The ride and handling are way better than the stock shocks ever were.

After reading this months back I called rock auto and bought the kyb's and I will say I am very pleased. so with that said if you have trouble finding them on line call rock auto.

Got them Swapped out. All 4 Shocks were bad, 2 were OEM (Front), and 2 were yellow Bilstiens (Mileage Unknown) The Bilstiens had almost no restriction either way. The OEM ones still had some life left in them surprisingly enough, compression only, no resistance on the rebound...

The KYB's make the truck ride great! Night and day difference. I'll update you every once in a while.

:thankyou2::thankyou2:

Time for shocks, one of my front tires feels like it's dribbling down the road with these Skyjacker 8000 nitros.

I'm looking at Bilstein 5100 vs Rancho 9000 adjustables. I've got the typical 2inch leveling kit, but with air bags in the rear which usually have a little air in them. Should I just by two for the front?

I've read Bilsteins aren't too great for towing, but I do like the idea that they are engineered to application. Although Ranchos seem like they could cover several types of driving. Desert offroading, highway, and towing.

I don't mind the stiff ride so long as they can handle bumps on the highway or when towing. I used to have a Duramax and the front bobbed like crazy when towing, it drove me to selling the truck.

-Dustin-

Back