Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
Big Swole

Name: Big Swole
Title: MegaInterceptor
Member`s Gallery
When's it gonna be done Rich?? I need a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminalong View Post
Correct. Everything will get tacked, test fit on the truck, then pulled off and the final TIG welding will be on the bench. I'll be bolting down and fixing as much of it as I can to prevent excess warpage. Stainless like to draw up pretty good when you weld it, so the flanges need to be bolted down to prevent warping and the piping needs to time to cool between welding sections.

Quote:
Reworked the pipe coming off the rear header today. Wasn't happy with how high it had to stick up to clear the #3 primary so I pulled it off, sectioned it out and used multiple compound curves to keep it fairly low and still clear everything....

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Yeah purging makes the inside of the welds come out REALLY nice when you get full penetration of the weld. I'll grab a piece tomorrow that I was working on without purging and you can see what it looks like inside.....it looks like really fine cottage cheese because it doesn't have the protection of the argon.

Quote:
Yes, I have a 3rd argon bottle and regulator that I'll setup when I weld the header.

If you don't purge it you actually get a pretty significantly reduced diameter where the slag forms on the inside of the weld. On big stuff (exhaust pipe, etc) it's not that big of a deal. But, when you get .100" (x4) build up of slag inside a 1.55" ID pipe, you cause a significant restriction. You end up with a pipe that flows like a 1.15" ID instead of 1.55" ID.
-2006 Honda S2000 - SOS Supercharged - 397 whp - Silverstone Metallic
-2016 RAM 2500 MegaCab Diesel - Silver (Tuned)
-HERS
-2019 718 Boxster S - Miami Blue 6MT, Cobb Tune, Soul, Ohlins,
-2014 958.1 Cayenne S - Umber Metallic / Luxor Beige
-2013 Honda Civic S.i.Coupe - 6MT