47RH Electronic Conversion

Shift SPEED will be affected by temp and pressure, shift POINT will not; at least not enough that anyone would notice.

Of course i am taking fluid temp into account though for my overall line pressure regulating. Not so much for my shift points...

Also a cheap fix for the temperature issue is wiring a resistor instead of the temp gauge that way the computer sees a constant temperature and will shift the same. I believe it’s a 32ohm

What are you talking about? Lol the mechanical governor controls the shift point by raising governor pressure when the fluid (at whatever temp) is forced through the expanding and contracting orifice based off centrifugal force from the output shaft rpm. This is the problem. That opening will not control governor pressure consistently across temperature changes. That is one of the issues I will be fixing by eliminating the use of governor pressure period. No thermistor to manipulate here...

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Lol the mechanical governor controls the shift point by raising governor pressure when the fluid (at whatever temp) is forced through the expeanding and contracting orifice based off centrifugal force. This is the problem. That opening will not control governor pressure consistently across temperature changes. No thermistor to manipulate here...

I’m talking about a 47rh fluid warm up built into the PCM that will not allow lock up until fluid temperature has reached a certain temperature.

Yes yes... Everyone knows about that. Not only will it not allow lockup, it also wont allow a shift to OD. Where in my initial explanation or any of my posts did I indicate that that was a "problem" I was trying to solve with this setup? That's why your comment induced such a confused response.

Last edited:
So these are some of my goals. Let me know if you think these would be useful and any other suggestions you might have.

I was thinking of using the TCC lockup as kind of an in-between gear on every gear, tuneable to engage and disingage at multiple MPH points. So it would be like 1st, 1st gear and lockup, 2nd gear, 2nd gear and lockup, 3rd gear, 3rd gear and lockup, 4th gear, 4th gear and lockup. Essentially turning it into an 8 speed with close gear ratios. Think this would be useful especially for fuel mileage purposes.

I also want to be able to flip a switch in the cab to go to "race mode" where it would lock the TCC in the top of 1st or bottom of 2nd and stay locked throughout all the shifts. When in race mode it would also pull up a separate table for higher shift points.

My last goal is to make it where when slowing down on the brakes, it slides all the shift points over for a more aggressive downshift with locking the torque converter at every gear and unlocking for the downshifts.

This all seems pretty doable and i believe these features are useful, can you guys think of anything else i am missing?

Oh, and of course the shift points will mainly be based off Mph and TPS voltage, as well as a table to adjust line pressure solely relative to TPS Voltage.

I'd be willing to try it!!

The Dodge transmissions are a disgrace. My Ford E4OD/4R100's always shifted pretty good in stock form. These Dodge transmissions are terrible.

I would be interested in playing around with it some.

Several modes would be a good idea, like normal/tow-haul/race.

Several modes would be a good idea, like normal/tow-haul/race.

The problem I am having is the availability of enough tables to control so many different modes that a user might want. I was just looking around, and I did come up with a way that I could make the torque converter lockup and stay locked through gears simply by sensing WOT... That could be handy, not sure if it might create an issue where someone is towing and decides to punch it on the freeway which would cause the TCC to lock; what they might be expecting is the transmission to unlock the TCC to raise RPMs a little or even kick down to 3rd. So much going on at once...

I got my board all soldered together, then made sure to get VSS and TPS signal to the board, and have got the Overdrive and TCC solenoids controlled by the controller. I am already getting excited about this. Who knew that only proper OD and TCC control would contribute so much to the overall enjoyment of driving the truck... this week i should be able to modify the VB in order to control 1-2 and 2-3 as well.

I'm excited about this. After you get it figured out will you build more to sell, or this a one off for your gorgeous Willy's?

I’m not a vender and i don’t know what the rules of such discussion are on here... this is something i would be willing to sell though, probably even as a diy kit for the guys that want to save some money by doing some soldering and such themselves.

Got all the valve body modifications done and shift solenoids wired up. Hopefully driving it again tomorrow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 07B001BB-CFD8-46CE-9C64-FE837DF0D4CA.jpg
    07B001BB-CFD8-46CE-9C64-FE837DF0D4CA.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5DEE3230-0D9C-46B5-B132-1181A7C7AB16.jpg
    5DEE3230-0D9C-46B5-B132-1181A7C7AB16.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 0
I’ll get some more pics tomorrow. Should be back up and driving then.

Switched to the RE plug and got it all wired up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 69713893-94EA-4B19-B6F8-6DB443740846.jpg
    69713893-94EA-4B19-B6F8-6DB443740846.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 0
Drove her home tonight everything seemed to work as it should! Got some tuning to do and some coding to get the features i want. It’s going to be weird to get used to the truck without the TCC locked all the time. Before i would just consistently have it grounded and manually downshift it.

It's nice to have them do what they are supposed to do for a change.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back