05 3500 4x4 starting with no trans in the truck

coorsman2005

i like beer
Ok. Here's to the question I bought this truck rebuilt the motor put new injectors and all that jazz.

The motor is in all bolted in and hooked up. I have no power to the lift pump. SO I jump wired the lift pump.

It is a 48re truck. So i wired neutral safety switch just so it would crank.

When it starts the lights flash and the horn honks then dies after about 15 20 seconds. I know it's the security bs. But is that because the trans is out and the ECM isn't seeing any communication? I assume or should I check into something else.

I have started my 08 with no trans but it's also standard so that's alot different. Has anyone else ever started there 48re truck with no trans.

Thanks guys

It's likely it's because it can't "see" the valvebody and it thinks it's in some gear or another.
Does it do it with the door closed?

Oh, by the way, don't keep trying to start it, chances are it'll lock the ECM out and you'll have to do a reflash.

Mark.

Last edited:
Try locking the doors with the key fob and then unlock them to see if it turns the security off. Should not have anything to do with the trans if the truck is starting. It's all in the anti theft.

It is funny you posted this because a kid that works for me just put a fresh trans in his 06. He is having what appears to be an electronic issue in the trans so he unplugged the connector to test manually shifting it. His is doing the exact same thing when he unplugs the transmission.

Thanks disturbed. I will try that with they key. Isn't there a certain method or steps you go in to reset the anti theft?

Zfaylor. Well we know of 2 trucks with possible same damn problems haha

I'm telling ya', it senses whether it's in park or nuetral, with a door open.
I had a 2007 that if I put it in gear with the door open, it'd honk, blink and go crazy.
Security on one of these trucks is probably one of the most annoying things ever invented. :bang

Mark.

I'm telling ya', it senses whether it's in park or nuetral, with a door open.
I had a 2007 that if I put it in gear with the door open, it'd honk, blink and go crazy.
Security on one of these trucks is probably one of the most annoying things ever invented. :bang

Mark.

I had an 06 that would do the same thing except it wouldn't shut off. I was driving it around with the door open and it started flashing the lights and blowing the horn but it didn't shut off

You can kill the skim key in the ecm to fix the issue

I would love to have this done to my ECM on my 05. Can tuning software (HP Tuners) remedy this issue?

Mine does the same stupid honk, lights flash, when in gear and door open, foot off the brake. Annoying when hooking up to a trailer.

Back