View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
getblown5.9

Name: getblown5.9
Title: Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Member`s Gallery
Small towing twins on 6.7

My 5.9 gave up on me at 305k miles, so I found a good 6.7 motor to put in its place running 5.9 electronics and fueling. Got the swap underway but I need to decide on turbo set up for towing my puller around. I am trailer and pull truck weighing in around 14k maybe 16k if I buy a bigger trailer soon.

I have almost all the parts to use a stock 24v manifold, with my stock 5.9 HE351CW turbo on top, and a box stock 475 under it. This option is the cheapest and I know these twins worked great towing heavy on a 5.9 motor my buddy had. I am just concerned how restrictive that turbine on the 351 will be for a 6.7 motor. it will have stock cam, and then for fueling it will be stock or 50hp injectors, stock CP3 and EFI Live tuning.

Do you think the small turbine and wastegate will be enough to let the 6.7 breathe with this level fueling? Truck is an automatic, and my daily driver when not towing, and I drive like grandpa for the most part, not going to be trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it. A cool reliable 425-450hp for towing will work for me.

My other options for this level is going to be a 2gen swap with one of the various s400 charger, but I worry about the lag and egt's for towing the pull truck around. Anyone have any experience to share?