where do all the duramax pistons crack?

Devan Manis

usually bitting my tongue
In an effort to keep the dodge common rail piston melting thread on topic i have started this thread to ask a quick question. Where do all the duramax pistons crack? Is there a common area or are they pretty random?

In an effort to keep the dodge common rail piston melting thread on topic i have started this thread to ask a quick question. Where do all the duramax pistons crack? Is there a common area or are they pretty random?

the LBZ/LLM piston crack at the wrist pin

Most every cracked Duramax piston will have a hole, be it small or large from the oil cooling galley into the bowl at the beginning of the crack. The hole will be in line with the oil squirter fill hole or the exit hole from the underside of the piston. It will then follow along parallel to the wrist pin until it exits the edge of the piston.

DSCF0373.jpg

thats from Gasout's rebuild

Not enough material in that area, is what i was told.

some were there is a profile view of the LB7 piston on diesel place baried int he archives.. see if i can find it.

the cone is 158* stock has that flower pattern ...

the lip is more for emission than anything.. and it necks down to 1/8 radius. which heats up faster then the rest of the piston and it si the farthest away formn the oil coolling passage under the crown. it usually goes first and the rest follows mush like punch a hole in steal with a blow tourch.

got some cut aways for you to look at.. these are from late 06 when we start loosing pistons

Attachments

• RickLance%20DMAX%20048.jpg
    RickLance%20DMAX%20048.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 56
  • RickLance%20DMAX%20064.jpg
    RickLance%20DMAX%20064.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 54
  • RickLance%2520DMAX%2520005Ab.JPG
    RickLance%2520DMAX%2520005Ab.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 44
  • RickLance%2520DMAX%2520061b.JPG
    RickLance%2520DMAX%2520061b.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 47
some were there is a profile view of the LB7 piston on diesel place baried int he archives.. see if i can find it.

the cone is 158* stock has that flower pattern ...

the lip is more for emission than anything.. and it necks down to 1/8 radius. which heats up faster then the rest of the piston and it si the farthest away formn the oil coolling passage under the crown. it usually goes first and the rest follows mush like punch a hole in steal with a blow tourch.

Thanks.

My buddy's lbz pistons looked like roasted marshmallows, kinda like some of the CRs.

Back