P-pump swap MEXICO EDITION

Downtownbrown

A friend of mine called me about a year ago and asked if he should buy a 24valve truck that had a p pump swap, i didnt see any pictures of it, but i told him the benefits of the swap reliability, power etc. little did i know the swap was some pieced together chit from some chop shop in mexico.

Here it is when he bought it
d9cd9e1d1f9286d6178c09fd68d5e795.jpg

07de5b497268a941be3c5cee90543219.jpg

First round of work sent the injectors to don at f1 since he is local and got them reset to p pump pressure, they still had the vp lift pump on it so we installed a fass 165, swapped the ofv for a tork tek, new scheid injection lines, intake from savage fab,fuel shutoff solenoid from larry b, throttle cable bracket from granby truck shop and a full set of guages.
1c675d099b4caec1baa436d65df2ec79.jpg

He had issues with the tach not working,and the truck not charging. His brother in law tried fixing the charging issue by putting on an external voltage regulator but it would just drain the batterys if he didnt pop the hood and unplug it every time he shut it off.

Second round of repairs going to fix the tach and charging issue, and found a lot more issues with the swap.
Injection pump gear nut wasnt right, it hung off the end of the shaft ~3/4”
Injection pump had no mounting bracket, oil feed line was made from rubber fuel line,
Cam sensor was only held in by silicone,
729cd461e49f8a9d3e987be71b9990f4.jpg

Injection pump o ring was non existent and instead silicone took its place
4c51dbdfb8a2d8e11a735c9a4ac6499a.jpg

I guess i am going to start cutting all of the unnecessary bs out of the wiring harness, does anyone have any suggestions on where to mount the ecm?
0b7eed2cd7f2579d1336b94bec81fb00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I thought it was just the front line, like someone bent a 12V line from a junk yard in a bind...
Man that thing looks like a nightmare. Would have been better off starting over and doing it all yourself!

Love the grid heater spacer that was clearly cut with a plasma, not cleaned up and thrown right on, the mis-matching all thread for the intake, etc....

That's a driving/rolling headache. Had a truck like that roll through my buddy's shop a few years back that had a 'homemade' 5 speed swap done on it. Same situation, spent more time shaking our heads in dis-belief as we tore it apart.

Pretty ingenious what some people, without the privileges the US has, can do to make it down the road.
Don't disparage things that you don't understand.

It makes you look like an idiot.

Mark.

Love the grid heater spacer that was clearly cut with a plasma, not cleaned up and thrown right on, the mis-matching all thread for the intake, etc....

I wish i wouldve kept the spacer, it was a work of art it was cut horrible and the center hole was a little bigger than a 1” square. Not to mention don said that the injectors werent from a truck, that the nozzles were smaller than stock nozzles and he hadnt seen them before.

Anyone know where the ecm’s are typically mounted after the pump swap?

If I remember the last one I did I cut bottom ear off on ecm and you move it back and add 2 of them spacer studs like they already use and it fits real nice

Its a shame them lines got lost in the mail I really wanted to use them.. LOL
I bet they wouldn't have cracked like most other p pump conversion lines do..

Its a shame them lines got lost in the mail I really wanted to use them.. LOL
I bet they wouldn't have cracked like most other p pump conversion lines do..

Yeah im pretty mad about that one.. poor bascards at my post office got an earful!thanks for that link

I'm a bit surprised that Schied still has a different way of bending the p-pump lines each time. How did they fit? I had a set of stock size lines in '07 that weren't bad. I went to a larger diameter when I swapped on a 13mm, and they were horrible, especially trying to get 5 and 6 in place. I thought they'd have standardized bending them 12 years later.

Back