View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Monkey View Post
That is correct. If you look at Google images for the rear taillight wiring diagram it gives the color codes on some of the drawings for the wires. You may need a magnifying glass to read the codes but they are there. I test the wires with a meter before I spliced them. I had to put my Daughter in the truck and raise her up on the lift. ! She didn't like it very much.

The kit is designed to mount behind the left rear taillight and pull the stop signal, left turn signal and driving light signal from the left side tail light. The kit then has a longer wire that runs to the right side tail light for the right side blinker. I just went straight to the left side frame rail where all the wires for the lights are located and went from there. After that you just cut the yellow, green and brown wires going to the trailer plug harness and connect the trailer plug to the same color wires on the kit.

You will also need to connect a ground and runt a wire up to the battery with a fuse. It isn't as easy as changing the fuse box but it is much cheaper and IMHO much more reliable.

I also pulled fuse #46 and #47 after I did this so the wires I cut are not live if the fuse box magically started to work again.
Thanks again! I'm not really a fan of splicing in to the factory wiring harness, but if it is cheaper, easier and more reliable in the long run I guess I will do it. I will be soldering and shrink tubing all of the connections as well. I've used butt connectors to many times and had them come apart or corrosion get into them and have to redo it. Never had any problems soldering!

How do you work the trailer brake wiring and brake controller into this? Or does it still work through the factory wirign?