2018 6.7L/68RFE Performance

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
Got a buddy who came to me looking for advice on performance stuff for his 2018 68RFE truck. I told him I know nothing about it since I still live in 12 valve land, but, I am going to attempt to help anyway. I wasn't even sure these things could be modded yet. He doesn't seem to care about the warranty, which was my first argument against modding it.

Can you guys bring me up to speed on these things?

It's a truck he daily drives. No heavy towing, like maybe a utility or ATV trailer a couple times a year. He says he wants a 5" stainless exhaust with muffler, intake, tuning, smog removal. I told him trans tuning is important, at least I think it is. I'm clueless on the smog stuff, but I told him keep the spare stuff for trade in. We have no checks in our area.

I am pretty sure I will end up helping him install most or all of this stuff. He was looking at a Freedom diesel kit, a place I have never heard of.

Learn me stuff :pop:

Southern OH/Northern KY

I don't quite get the desire to go to a 5 inch exhaust... A 4 inch is more than sufficient. Flo-Pro is the brand that I prefer. Always fits correctly/ well and sounds nice.

I personally still have the factory intake. The intake tracts on the fourth gen are quite impressive.

Any of the standard EGR re-route kits will work; they're all pretty much copies of each other. If he's will to spend the money, the Banks Monster ram is the way to go; replaces the factory horn and throttle valve.

Tuning... Engine is easy, any reputable tuner should be good. For your area, I recommend Fleece/ Oz or Done Right Diesel. For the engine, the low reverse sprag cal should be changed to keep the 68 alive. Push out the shift points to keep the engine in it's best BSFC engine speed. Line pressure should be left alone as on a stock trans, it will just push out the CVI's and kill the trans. If the BD 68 protect kit is installed in the valve body, the line pressure can be increased to 225. Combine the BD 68 protect kit, deep pan and trans tuning, the 68 will live a long happy life unless it is abused.

Back