Sticking exahust brake

FireMedic717

I have an 08 ram 2500 has full deletes and mini max tuner, with 130,000 miles on it. I was reading an old post on here from someone called “Black smoke” or something like that, anyway it talked about some issues with the ex brake stinking and not turning off unless rpm dropped bellow 1200. But I never got to read about a solution. What happens is, with higher speeds towing or not when you let off accelerator the exahust brake kicks on but won’t release till the RPM’s drop below 1200. Kind of sucks when moving down the interstate. I’ve seen a lot of posts saying only fix was replacing the turbo. I don’t believe it, truck has tons of power.
:bang

That's how it's supposed to work, if it turned off at like 2500rpm it wouldn't be effective. When I'm towing with the brake on and slowing down but don't want the brake slowing to much I just barely tip in the throttle enough it doesn't apply.

Sorry should of been a little more specific, when it kicks on and then try to get back on it it won’t disengage,

The most effective way I have found to diagnose these turbos is remove the actuator. If the driven lever on the turbo moves freely, I assume it is not sticking from carbon/soot/rust buildup. At that point you can re-align it and re-install the actuator and try it. If it was not aligned correctly, it can shut too far and the exhaust pressure will make it stick on.

The most effective way I have found to diagnose these turbos is remove the actuator. If the driven lever on the turbo moves freely, I assume it is not sticking from carbon/soot/rust buildup. At that point you can re-align it and re-install the actuator and try it. If it was not aligned correctly, it can shut too far and the exhaust pressure will make it stick on.
I’ve never removed one beore and I’m sure there are plenty of how to vids on YouTube, any recommendations? Also is it possible for the actuator to become unaligned?

I’ve never removed one beore and I’m sure there are plenty of how to vids on YouTube, any recommendations? Also is it possible for the actuator to become unaligned?
Just have to drain coolant and take it off thru fenderwell. Only time I've had them unaligned is if someone messed with it or it's a reman that was screwed up, though. Chances are yours is all gunked up, which you'll know when u try to move the lever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just have to drain coolant and take it off thru fenderwell. Only time I've had them unaligned is if someone messed with it or it's a reman that was screwed up, though. Chances are yours is all gunked up, which you'll know when u try to move the lever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks I’ll give it a shot when I get then next chance.

Thanks I’ll give it a shot when I get then next chance.

How did you make out? I had my truck out on Sunday and seemed the exhaust brake wasn't holding back as much as it usually does. No codes but wondering if mine has the same problem with being all sooted up.

Back