Possible pump issue, cold start and missing

Another thing just popped into my head. Do you still have the fuel heater/strainer assembly in the system? The connector on the fuel heater can burn out and start sucking air. The strainer bowl can also get plugged up. I've found them by unplugging the connector from the fuel heater and seeing if there is fuel on it. Even if there isn't, with it unplugged pressurize the fuel tank and see if fuel runs out of the connector. I've came across this several times and it can be a real pain in the a$$ to find.

I was fighting an aeration issue before I redid my lines and went to a bottom sump in the tank. The way I verified that I was no longer getting aeration, was I spliced in some clear hose in line with the return hose right before the tank and watched for bubbles. Doing that you would be able to verify if you are sucking air anywhere in your system.

Last edited:
I can't believe it is an IP problem with a measly 300k on it. My 215 pump is still working like a champ. odieub gave you good advice. Pressure up the tank, then crawl under the truck and look for air bubbles or leaking fuel.

, im actually not able to pressurize the tank woth the style i have, but here is what tonight sleuthing revealed.
-ran the electric pump from jerry can to inlet of the lift pump.
I have a pressure gaige on the return side of the filter head (banjo bolt with the tap where the injectors return to).
I hear what im pretty sure if the overflow valve open up at 12 psi and hear fuel returning to the tank.
Cleared lines, struggled up to life after alot of complaining (ver had this many issues bleeding the lines), smoked and rolled blue till warm.
-while cranking i lift number 1 injevtion line off the pump, it really only spurted some fuel even when i moved the pedal full throttle. Bad valve or not..shouldnt the sucker be blasting fuel out of there?
-still have the problem when it was idling smooth when you rev it starts missing smoking and popping out the exhaust.

-1st thing though, shouldnt that overflow valve not be opening up till at least 25 psi?
This is a 1 year old tork tek unit (put it on last winter when problems arose)

-tomorrow will attemptto start the truck and see how it starts. Will add clear hose to see about any aeration.

Id try lift pump. After you delete fuel heater. Had a buddy one time, backed a daily driven truck in the garage. (Was going to sell and wanted to keep the 215 pump going to install a 160)truck was driven everyday. Swapped pumps and could get fuel to #1 barrel . Swapped lift pumps fired right up.

What about the overflow passing fuel at 10 psi?
A little hesitant to buy another tork tek now..

Dont think its lift pump as it was still giving me problems with the electric pump running, aka sputtering fuel out of number 1 barrel

Last edited:
Its a ve not a p7100 correct?
15ish psi for the ve
35ish psi for the p7100

So i dont really see an issue with the ofv

You aren't measuring the actual fuel pressure on a return line. Put it on the input line between the lift pump and the IP inlet. Also, if you can't pressurize the tank with compressed air you could disconnect the supply line prior to the lift pump and apply regulated air there. 15 psi i plenty.

I found a low pressure check valve in my stash so i installed it just before the stock lift pump, started it up with much struggle, letting it warm up now and will tet starting tomorrow morning again.
Thing does not wan to rev up still, just starts misfiring and popping out the exhaust and smoking black/grey, then just rolls blue smoke till 15mins of idling and its warming up a bit now (temps is 28f).

Well see what tomorrow brings. If no better ill try another OFV becuae its cheap and easy, and will monitor pressure on the supply side of the filter.
I got a line on a supposed good used 180 pump im hoping to pick up over new years.

Last update of the night from me,
Truck was warmed up, verified my pressure gaige is actualy on the supply side, and it cracks open at 10 psi when i was running the electric pump...
When i floor it in neutral it revs up now that its warm decent speed but i stead of normal defuel it starts popping and smoking, like the drag trucks do..

There is a little check valve on the return side of the filter head where the injector return plumbs into. Think this going bad would have anything to do with it?

There is a little check valve on the return side of the filter head where the injector return plumbs into. Think this going bad would have anything to do with it?

No

You need to pressurize the tank/supply side

I used a simple air regulator and piece of pipe, with a rag wrapped around it and jammed it into the filler neck.

20-30 psi (lots of volume so be careful)

I had a minor weep at the inlet of lift pump. Similar issues you described

Im assuming I can also pinch the return line and add air directly to the feed line by my check valve. Any leaks would show up easy this way I am thinking..

Any leak after the lift pump will show up as a visable leak, the suction line before the lift pump is what needs to be pressure checked if your worried it's sucking in air.

Back