ticking?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
There is a ticking noise...seems to be from the drivers side but its so hot under the hood while the motor is running that its hard to pin point the tick. (103* outside temps)

Could it be coming from the injection pump or the valves?

It's most likely the lift pump, mine comes and goes. I've heard everything from this is normal to this is a sign of the lift pump going out.

Yeah I have heard this sound go from very faint to very loud. Then one day it won't do it at all. We drive this truck around 600-750 miles per week so I get to hear alot of noises from her...

9 LIVES said:
Not enough hair on my head to clip & its 2WD ;)

Ok yes. In light of new information I've received in regards to your situation, our assessment board has come to the conclusion that this ticking you're experiencing, is 89.9% sure the cause is not a hair clip.

My 12v does it too & talked to some people that have had it for 150,000 miles.I will soon find out because I am getting away from the mechanical pump all together.It sounds like the injection pump but could not tell for shure.:blahblah1:

What's the timing set to? The higher we set timing on the bigger ppumps, the more noise they make.

My timing is stock on this 215 engine/pump.

The ticking has gotten louder over the last few days to the point that I can hear the ticking from over 100 feet away when coming out of a gas station. Also can hear the ticking from in the house when I have it idling in the driveway.

What is the best way to locate this ticking/tapping sound?

I have layed under the truck while its idling and the noise is pretty loud from underneath the truck. Would anything make a ticking noise from the bottom end of the motor?

I read once too see if it's your lift pump push the primer in ~1/2". If the ticking stops it's the lift pump. Dont know if it works, but its worth a try.

Mine ticks too... It sounds like an exauhst leak..... Everybody that listens to it say's it sounds like it's commin from the TRANNY

9 LIVES said:
My timing is stock on this 215 engine/pump.

The ticking has gotten louder over the last few days to the point that I can hear the ticking from over 100 feet away when coming out of a gas station. Also can hear the ticking from in the house when I have it idling in the driveway.

What is the best way to locate this ticking/tapping sound?

I have layed under the truck while its idling and the noise is pretty loud from underneath the truck. Would anything make a ticking noise from the bottom end of the motor?

When I was able to hear mine "ticking" inside the house, it was a rod bearing..
I think if you can hear it 100 feet away, you've graduated from "tick", to "knock".
Hope it works out for you...

$.02

I had this problem. Not that hair clip... It really was a hefty knocking. Had it diagnosed and fixed, thank goodness an easy fix. It was a loose rocker arm under valve cover #3. It had gotten so dang loud I thought engine parts were gonna start flying lol

Ridemywideglide said:
When I was able to hear mine "ticking" inside the house, it was a rod bearing..
I think if you can hear it 100 feet away, you've graduated from "tick", to "knock".
Hope it works out for you...

$.02

What he said.
You could try this. Just take a wrench and loosen one injector line at a time. Listen for the noise to change or go away. That will give you an idea if its a plunger ticking in the injector pump or ........
It scares me that it's that loud.

Back