Single charger on 335d

TheHammer

broke
Just curious if anyone on here has done a single charger, something along the lines of an efr 8374 or a pt 6176. The turbine options with the small garrets seems like it could be possible to daily this and not run out of charger like my existing hybrids....

Just curious if anyone on here has done a single charger, something along the lines of an efr 8374 or a pt 6176. The turbine options with the small garrets seems like it could be possible to daily this and not run out of charger like my existing hybrids....

The owner of dieselops did. Solid setup from what I had seen of it.

The owner of dieselops did. Solid setup from what I had seen of it.[/QUOTE

His is the grey car? Had it on display at ucc? Small frame garret? I know it'd be easy to install a single charger, it would free up some space and make things much more simplistic, plus allow it to not be so limited. It's the driving it on the street without completely smoking everything out (worse then it already does) and still get atleast 40mpg that I'm concerned with. Both tuners I've talked to won't remote tune them, which I understand as it's Unchartered territory. But I believe there are real gains to be had, at a reasonable cost especially compared to the 2900$ cost of these hybrids, which imo a price like that should be much more capable of making more then 550rwhp.

Last edited:
I think a single makes sense, but have you guys looked at any decent turbo shops that can toss in larger wheels and machine housings?

Also, I'd look at the Garrett GTX line (GTX3000 series probably) since the system already has a stock diverter valve if I'm not mistaken. They're a little more robust and it looks like they flow better.

I think a single makes sense, but have you guys looked at any decent turbo shops that can toss in larger wheels and machine housings?

Also, I'd look at the Garrett GTX line (GTX3000 series probably) since the system already has a stock diverter valve if I'm not mistaken. They're a little more robust and it looks like they flow better.

The 3076 is on the list to spec out and price, I'm liking the .63 housing option, would think with the wheel options, it would work well on the street. The wheels in these hybrids are already larger and jclipped turbines. That's another reason for wanting to go single on mine and a customers car we've both had our fair share of vac issues with the diverter valve. I might just buy a couple chargers n try them with my existing tune.

The diverter valve is vacuum operated? I would have thought on a diesel it has to be electronically actuated based on throttle position, MAP, and RPM.

Correct, a few things are controlled via vacuum on these units. The valve seems most problematic as of now, I thought after shredding the balancer and going to a fluidampr my silly problems would go away. Nope split my Wagner cooler n then a vac problem, with new ic I have to fab 3" pipes so I figured a single charger could correct other issues and fab a clean pipe setup.

You should check out stock coolers from a B7 A4. There's two and they're behind the fog lights. It helps a ton for packaging stuff when you move them to that wasted space. It makes routing pretty easy too.

I got a vrsf 7.5. Pretty nice unit. The coolers you speak of are a lot like the ones I just put on a vette I'm turboing.

Sweet! I'm curious how you'll like the spool with a charger like that. It seems like tight housings on larger frames just seems to work well with light cars.

If it's anything like their N54 and N55, those things handle around 900whp on stock bottom ends. Stock head bolts and valve springs too.

Correct, the limit has not been found, not saying it is infinite or non existent like some mathematics.... There is one guy doing a monotherm piston and upgraded profile on both cams. He is also doing billet rods, but I think that's to lighten up the rotating mass some after doing away with the aluminum Pistons. The rods in these are stronger then the factory rods in all of our factory rod equipped pick ups, obviously besides those powered buy the 6bt. The factory pistons aluminum metallurgy is rather on the high end compared to anything most of us are use to. They also have 4 cute little reliefs in them factory. As of now I only have springs. The trans is more of a concern even with the new tuning platforms, also another concern is the oe driveshaft joint. Getting some weight out of the car may have bought it some time, but if i spray it with all the fuel on hand(assuming I'm still over 875ftlbs on the single with all new upgrades) I'd expect 1000ftlbs and would like to break 750hp, last results after fuel lab 10303, injectors & modded r90 it made a pretty consistent 876-879ftlbs w/30%meth into the outlet of ic. But for those who don't know good fuel additives in these systems is key because rail pressure is a bit higher then most could ever consider in their trucks as these things do like rpm even with the factory equipped scr.

Last edited:
I had no idea they'd take that. The block in the X5 is very pretty and I didn't want to break it. Sounds like the wife's ride needs nitrous but possibly a turbo first.

How do they tune these foreign cars? Is there something like EFI Live or HPTuners for them or is it all just custom flashes or swap out ECMs?

How do they tune these foreign cars? Is there something like EFI Live or HPTuners for them or is it all just custom flashes or swap out ECMs?

Piggybacks for the new stuff
Cobb Port Tuning
And the N55's is in the process of getting a full suite (only partially unlocked right now)

The German guys seemed to switch to forged cranks, beefy rods, and sleeved blocks about 8 years ago. Prior to that, they bent rods often and the blocks used that aluminum anodize stuff (can't think of the name).

I suppose it's not just them though. The Coyote and new 6.4L Hemi both take a **** ton of boost before they don't like it. They only really need a torque converter past ~700rwhp (turbo and fuel system as well obviously).

Back