Technically...

Snedge

Comp Diesel Sponsor
...it's a conversion

The 1974 International was originally built with a small cam 350 Cummins. Somewhere along it's life, someone installed a BC3 400. My customer purchased it, hauled three loads of hay, then spun a bearing. We found an early 90's N14 mechanical engine. We are building this one from bare block up.

Started the discussion in the Truckers lets see your Rigs thread.

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together - View Single Post - Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I'll be updating progress in this thread.

Last edited:
add this at next oil change, buff itself out.........

GUEST_a2370fd7-d66b-4408-bb3b-58ff9696fb4f

A little progress, waiting on cam followers from Cummins. Covid excuse has parts moving extra slow. We are busy with all kinds of stuff, and the slow orders are backing us up. Can't walk through the shop without zigzagging engines.

Last edited:
It is amazing to me how many places use Covid for an excuse as to why their shelves are bare, or why it is taking longer to get you something.

On another note, are you building this one for stock power, or turning up the wick some for the customer?

It is amazing to me how many places use Covid for an excuse as to why their shelves are bare, or why it is taking longer to get you something.

On another note, are you building this one for stock power, or turning up the wick some for the customer?

Been hearing it all year.

Chris

Stock power ? What's that ?:what: We are turning up the wick more than some. :)
Posting the picture of the original power plant. NTC 400. (855) We may do something with it later, but the truck assembly is priority one.

We are using the steel top pistons used in the celect plus engines, good cam, custom injectors, and fuel pump calibration. Shooting for 550. The engine originally was a 400 with tri tech aluminium pistons. We are still debating on turbo, but most likely an HT4C. We're also ditching the original 14" clutch for a real one haha.

The truck is a farm truck and hauls hay and tractors. Lots more hay than tractors.
It is awesome to work on something that does require an ECM.

Last edited:
Case-IH had the mechanical N14 in the bigger 9300 series 4WD farm tractors. Some of the earlier engines had issues with the camshaft flaking. I remember replacing one or two camshafts and lifters when I worked at a local farm repair shop. I don’t remember the reason for the issue. Did you ever run across that issue?

Case-IH had the mechanical N14 in the bigger 9300 series 4WD farm tractors. Some of the earlier engines had issues with the camshaft flaking. I remember replacing one or two camshafts and lifters when I worked at a local farm repair shop. I don’t remember the reason for the issue. Did you ever run across that issue?

Yes. Later on in the evolution of the N14, the cam lobes, and rollers were widened for increased surface area.
Another great way to wipe out these cams is excessive fuel pressure.
230+ and you can start subtracting lobe life. The higher the number, the quicker the damage occurs.

Those sound amazing with a rotted off exhaust, farmer around my house has one and I can't get over the sound under load.

Stock power ? What's that ?:what: We are turning up the wick more than some. :)

I figured as much, but just wanted to make sure. Most farmers that I know if they run older trucks or equipment always turn the wick up so that it works better and faster for them.

I figured as much, but just wanted to make sure. Most farmers that I know if they run older trucks or equipment always turn the wick up so that it works better and faster for them.

So true. It's funny, because we are building this thing up to run maybe 3/4 as good as what you drive off the lot today.

But it will not have a computer, will not have tons of sensors, and will not have a payment.

Quite possibly a batch of the microfinished parts that cummins tried for a bit and then pulled.

Back