View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
Bench bleeding master cylinder twice?

Thought I could tackle putting new rubber brake hoses on the front of my 95 3500 and a new master cylinder

I ran into a few issues. First I bench bled the master in a vise just using the two plastic plugs that came with the master cylinder and a wooden dowel. With each push the master cylinder would push fluid past the plastic plugs and im assuming this wasn't completing the task of bench bleeding? The master cylinder did get rock hard to the point where I couldn't push it in anymore so would that be considered done? Even though fluid was leaking out of the plugs? I did try putting o-rings on the plugs but that didn't help seal them off.

I put the master cylinder on the truck and started to bleed each wheel with no luck. Still the pedal goes nearly to the floor after bleeding each wheel an average of 10-12 times.

Could it be a bad master cylinder? It was a new not reman from advance auto.

Can you RE-bleed a master cylinder after it's already been done once? I'm assuming you can't because the piston is so hard to push in that I don't see myself making any progress with that.

I do plan to take the old master cylinder to NAPA and getting some brake lines to screw into the master for easier future bleeding the lines back into the reservoir.

Heads I win, tails you lose....
-Lee-