Quick 47re endplay question for the builders

thatguy69

In the middle of putting my 47re back together and have a question on what the atsg is calling geartrain endplay. It calls for. 006-.048 for tolerance, and I have none, it's tight as a rock. Do I need to order a smaller snap ring or sand mine down a little
311b37c5a2c92cf1d07cf445919ad30f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's really odd that you have 0 clearance even with the thickest .065 snap ring, I would pull it apart and double check that nothing is bound up.

I mean there's some clearance it spins easily I just can't get a feeler gauge in there. New thrust washers, but I double checked the new vs old and theres no difference in thickness.

This might sound obvious. But are you lifting it up by the shaft to get the feeler gauge in? I would think that as long as everything is installed properly and there is no binding; you're fine.

You didn't try to put a 3 tab thrust washer on the bottom side of the aluminum planet did you?

This might sound obvious. But are you lifting it up by the shaft to get the feeler gauge in? I would think that as long as everything is installed properly and there is no binding; you're fine.

You didn't try to put a 3 tab thrust washer on the bottom side of the aluminum planet did you?
I'm a noob, so your not going to insult me lol. But yes I am picking up on the shaft while trying to insert the smallest feeler gauge I have which is .006. No 3 tab thrust washers and all of my thrust washers are seated how they should be. What was strange to me is whoever had this apart before me put a sun gear shell thrust plate in between the number 8 thrust washer and the rear planetary ring gear. I tried Re assembling this way and after putting the new thrust washers in the front planetary was completely covering the snap ring grove on the Intermediate shaft. Once I removed the sungear thrust plate I had room for the snap ring.and yes there is still a sungear thrust plate one the back of the sungear shell I never took that apart

Last edited:
Also while we're at it what do you guys like to see for clearances in the direct and fwd drum

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Tuned in to share in some of this knowledge. I don't believe there is a such thing as knowing too much about these trans. I ripped mine down a couple times for issues in the valve body, rear servo, and rear drum, but I've never overhauled one of these. I just disassembled, laid the parts out and put them back in like the trans builder had it with a little blue trans gel on about everything.

Back