Just another rat rod build

Jl12valve

unfaithful CF user
This last weekend I managed to acquire a 39 dodge 1 1/2 ton rig. My plan with this is to make it as simple and clean as possible. It'll be a basic bagged dually with a 12valve. Plan on making it a manual (opinions on 6sp trans welcome). Trying to keep wiring to a minimum meaning so manual shutoff and push button start. Keeping the factory gauges for looks and going with a few auto meters to keep things in check.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a good project.

In to see where you go with it. I have hopes of doing a similar project some day in the future.

Nice find. Are you going to stay 2wd? Regardless, you may want to look at a medium class transmission for this cool build. I think there is a mini 10spd and since you are bagging, you will have the air.

If you did want 4x4, we have attached yokes to the new married cases and divorced them. Imagine a 2.67 low range with an 8LL in front of it. You could plow taters. LOL

Is this going to be a working rat rod? I think the g56 would be a good option as the parts availability is much better than the nv5600.

Very cool. I have one of these '39 Dodge's as well sitting with the intent to turn it into a 12v Rat Rod - curious to see what you do with it!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Yes I do plan to keep it a 2wd. I like the idea of a 10speed. Could be a pretty ba hauler with that setup.
It's going to be a play truck for now but may end up making it work for me.
Right on thanks for the interest

Picked up a DRW Dana 80 today and going to pick up a 2wd frame Monday. Hope to begin frame work and can removal mid week. Need to find a motor now

Starting in on the axle. Tearing it down completely to weld the four link brackets on and do a full rebuild. Diff carrier bearing races were toast as seen in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 0
For those who are still with me, picked up my engine for the beast. 96 12valve core basically. Building a stand (as seen in pics). Going to be doing a thorough build, keating billet parts, bored block, fire ringed head and block, possibly billet rods, 13mil pump with injectors to match, fass 260, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 0
I like it... I'm in !

Nice, consistent MIG (gmaw) welds on that square tube BTW.

Back