How would you build it? 990hp CR

Billet rods, small cam like a 181/210ish, 200% over injectors, single 12mm pump, ported head with sidedraft, T4 straight outlet manifold and a 75/96/1.10 T4 charger. Good for 989.9hp all day long.LOL

I like this setup if I were to built a single turbo and single cp3 truck, alot. Big turbine S400 in T4 housings are what I like for big singles.

I ran a s476/87 with 150% over injectors,built trans and valve springs and push rods was a fun daily and ran 10.60s no traction bars and nitto 420s then I wanted to go faster had a billet rod motor built put 471 over 486 compounds and bigger injectors and I miss the simple single turbo drive everyday truck

You didn't do yourself many favors putting such a large secondary on. Unless you were after some pretty large numbers.

I like this setup if I were to built a single turbo and single cp3 truck, alot. Big turbine S400 in T4 housings are what I like for big singles.

You didn't do yourself many favors putting such a large secondary on. Unless you were after some pretty large numbers.

Truck runs 9.70s at 6400 pounds and that's not all out so I'm happy with it spools fine could daily drive it if I wanted to deal with the daily wear and tear.......

Truck runs 9.70s at 6400 pounds and that's not all out so I'm happy with it spools fine could daily drive it if I wanted to deal with the daily wear and tear.......

I guess I am curious as to why the daily wear and tear from a set of compounds is any different from a big single? Assuming you aren't using all 1200+hp on tap at every light. Your secondary is in the realm of big single by itself.

What kind of fuel economy can be had running the proposed setup when comparing a single VS compounds?
I assume the mapping used to spool a large single is somewhat ineffecient.

I'm looking for generalization, not case study on how everyone's truck is different because of Cali lean

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Billet rods, small cam like a 181/210ish, 200% over injectors, single 12mm pump, ported head with sidedraft, T4 straight outlet manifold and a 75/96/1.10 T4 charger. Good for 989.9hp all day long.LOL

That single/single plan would help packaging in a Ford. If only it produced 0.1 more HP...

See Matt Kauffman.

Seen him. Now what? :hehe:

I figured there should be a decent number of opinions of how to build a 990HP CR. Imagine if you had a fresh 5.9 Cummins short block; what would be your winning combination of parts and techniques for a street-driveable 990HP?

Factory 325 hp engine to pass CA smog with tuning and a 665hp shot of naaws :hehe:

Why build 990hp when you could build something that was half the weight and only have to make 495hp. You could do that with a VE pump, you would break less, get better fuel mileage and go just as fast.

Why build 990hp when you could build something that was half the weight and only have to make 495hp. You could do that with a VE pump, you would break less, get better fuel mileage and go just as fast.

He probably wants something he can actually use as a normal vehicle, not a gutted Miata with a VE 12v in it.

Built bottom end with rods, studs, girdle etc. Mild Cam, Mild Ported Head, 100-150% over injectors and a 467.7 should get you damn close to 990. I've done 1005whp on a 6.7 with 135% overs and a Fleece 68.

You don't know Brandon very well. And its pretty easy to make trucks light.

You are correct, I do not know Brandon. I do know he started this thread asking about building an engine with 990hp, not 495hp though. He seems like a smart cat, im sure he has a reason.

Factory 325 hp engine to pass CA smog with tuning and a 665hp shot of naaws :hehe:

Not bad. I would have guessed spraying the balls off it would have been on the first page and your math checks out. LOL

old 64/65/13 over a fancy 488 is very streetable and towable 1000hp

Why 488 and not a box 480?
Would there be a bunch of compressor surge with the 64/65/13?

Built bottom end with rods, studs, girdle etc. Mild Cam, Mild Ported Head, 100-150% over injectors and a 467.7 should get you damn close to 990. I've done 1005whp on a 6.7 with 135% overs and a Fleece 68.

What displacement was that? 5.9?

You don't know Brandon very well. And its pretty easy to make trucks light.

This project may not make it between frame rails because it's currently destined for a test stand to prototype parts.

That does bring up a good point though. Right now the 12v gets 20.5mpg in the summer and drops to 18mpg in the winter. I think finding the right balance on injectors large enough to make a short injection event and small enough to idle without needing 8k rail will be key to MPG.

Next question- who here thinks a girdle is necessary for 1500tq?

Next question- who here thinks a girdle is necessary for 1500tq?

I don't think the girdle is necessary at 1500ft/lbs for a street truck. If your building a test mule that's going to spend its entire life at 1500ft/lbs and above then you might want to girdle it for peace of mind.

Back