High hp 12v cummins longevity

93Ford

How much power are you making and how many miles have you had that hp. Just wondering what kind of engine life can be expected from a 500hp 12v cummins. Originally was thinking of a dt466 swap but if the Cummins can make that power and still last 200k miles and just need some bearings and rings then the Cummins will be the better route.

You're probably not going to get any amount of people to give the 12v it's due justice. Heck maybe any due to the generality of your question. I wouldn't worry about using the 12v at all.

I daily drove a 600 ish hp truck for 200k that already had 340k on it. Wouldn't hesitate to try it with another 12 valve

So you had 540k total miles 200k at 600up that is pretty darn good if the Cummins can do that then I think that'll definitely be the road to go. What was done to it to make 600hp did it have compounds.

63mm single. Head work, pump work, injectors, and lots of broken transmissions. Truck is still sitting around, started it this morn..

Not bad for a single. I was thinking of a k27 sxe369 compound as the torque would be insane while keeping egts low while towing. Not sure what to do on the cylinder head was thinking the Hamilton high swirl head or PDD stage 1 ported head not sure which is better.

I plan on using an eaton fuller so broken transmissions will remain a stranger to me. FSO8406 6 speed synchronized or rto6610 10 speed non synchronized can't make up my mind.

No idea. If you do your own, there are plenty of threads on here with pics. Without the swirl ramps the engine will be a dog until over 2k rpm, had one done one time and it literally smoked the whole time going down the road, but ran great on the top side.

Unless you're close to pdd I would go whoever is nearest to you. You don't want to have it shipped all across the country and have freight loaders screw it up or lose it.

I don't know any places in sw Florida that have experience porting these heads. The swirl effect seems to be real important and unless they know what to do there it could end up being a waist. Is there any good write ups on porting these head while maintaining close to the factory amount of swirl.

Well, what I'm thinking is that porting the head will help keep egts lower and reduce the effort to make the 500-600hp. In other words it would take a lot of stress off of the engine making it more reliable at these higher power ratings.

I was also thinking about lower compression ratio piston something in the 15:1-16:1 range. How does compression ratio effect egts will a lower cr lower or raise egts. The lower compression ratio should take a lot of stress off engine as well making it more reliable.

Well, what I'm thinking is that porting the head will help keep egts lower and reduce the effort to make the 500-600hp. In other words it would take a lot of stress off of the engine making it more reliable at these higher power ratings.

Take any money you would spend on this and put it toward a better turbo setup.

What kind of turbo setup would be good. I would think the k27 sxe369 should work very well as it would spool up very fast and has enough air to support 700hp which is more than I plan on making.

Back