Idle trouble

bad ass ram

Ok, so,I have my timing pretty Damn close to where it needs to be. Finally! But, now, it wants to idle down real slow, and if it gets below 1,500 rpm, it dies. It'll rev good, just don't like idling back down. We put a new 4000gsk in, and because it tore them all up, we had to guess at how tight. Does this sound like timing still? Or more like gov springs? I'm leaning towards springs. Would they be loose, or tight? I'm thinking loose. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ok. Cool. Would a full turn do it? Or will it take more? Cause best I remember, there's not just a lot of stud protrusion.

Ok. They are tight then. Cause mine have to be in the .040-.050 range.

Well,I figured it out! What a dumb ass! I guess I should've done it myself! The friend of mine, that I had build my governor, offered to drop the springs in, so I let him. First of all, he left the shims in, so, it was putting a pile of pressure on them, and that's why I couldn't get it backed of far enough! And to top it all off, the stepped seat, for the inner 3 springs, instead of putting then under the springs, he had them sitting on top of the springs! Right under the top plate and nut!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! But, knew immediately when I saw it, that I had found my problem! Switched it around, cranked it, and dropped it in drive, and it pulled the motor right up, like it's supposed to!! I am gonna have to back them off a click or two, cause it does want to idle funky in drive, every now and then. But, I'm confident that will be the last time I'm in there for a while!

Back