Batteries.

I will say though I didn't use the full size batteries, just ones for ATV and motorcycles.

Those are Chinese made junk.

I ran Deka Intimidator's that were great. When they finally went down, I couldn't afford more, so I went back to a regular lead/acid battery. I will go back to the AGM's next time if I have to sell a kid. If you're not familiar with an AGM, they go bad suddenly, they don't slowly die. Mine lasted 8 years.

If I knew one of those would turn a big truck engine over it would be worth it to try one instead of buying four traditional batteries.

Might check your dealer, sometimes they're way cheaper than you'd expect and any of the oem batteries are pretty solid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's the kicker.. 312 shipped, but i don't have the space to run 2.
VMax just went to a single xs,
Definitely something to think about for power, reliability, weight and space savings... And the d6500 will dump 3900 amps in a single shot if you let it, or need it to.

I'd love to have them, 650 for a set of batteries isn't in the budget right now since the truck needs tires and a PS pump.

Well ended up with another set of duralast golds. 250 bucks out the door. Got them installed and truck cranks better than when I got it. Didn't realize how weak my old batteries were.

But as usual, I make a post on bookface about getting duralast batteries and the haters come out saying they won't last. Guess we shall see!

Looks like I'm the only one that believes in Optima Red tops. Love 'em. Last set lasted 8 years in the 2002.

Looks like I'm the only one that believes in Optima Red tops. Love 'em. Last set lasted 8 years in the 2002.

Apparently the only one who will admit it. They didn't have any red top optimas at auto zone anyway. Haha. These were about 15 bucks cheaper a piece as well.

Walmart are made by Johnson Controls. They also make Sears Diehard, Mopar, and several others. My originals lasted 9 years. Now I have 2 from Walmart.

Johnson Controls also owns and operates Optima Batteries.

I have Yellow Tops in my truck... And a red top was in my Tahoe that lasted MANY years before it died. I replaced it with a NAPA batter for price and availability since I did not have the funds to do another Optima at the time. I have had good luck with Optimas and would never hesitate to run or recommend one.

Last edited:
I had a red top in my Toyota that took a ride into the alternator fan and lost a cell. I used it for a couple years after that lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bought a red top in early 08 to put in my tacoma, didn't even last 3 years. Luck of the draw I guess. On the dodge, the factory battery that's been running as a single the past two years finally died after 10 years. Probably would have lasted even longer if I wouldn't have took the other one out.

I personally think that the majority of batteries on the market are good, especially the ones from major brands and manufacturers, as long as they are used in their intended application and not abused they will generally live a long and happy life. BUT, all batteries will fail eventually, and if they are deeply discharged, poorly charged, overcharged or subjected to any other charging system problems they will not last as long. Many of the Optima batteries that people have issues with are typically good batters that were improperly maintained... The small RedTop we had in our Tahoe lasted over 10-years then died after I let it sit in the truck without starting it for about 2 years! I haven't tried yet, but I may still be able to bring it back to life charging it with another battery in parallel.

What makes the difference is the customer service and warranty... some manufacturers and retailers are much easier to deal with than others when it comes time to warranty a battery. Some make you jump through hoops and have your original paperwork in hand to do anything, while others simply look at the date tag on the battery, hand you a new one and say have a nice day! In most cases the price differences you are paying for a battery are basically covering the length of the free replacement period and prorated warranty period. Make sure you buy from a retailer that is easy to deal with and one with a warranty that you are comfortable with.

I went through two sets of RED tops in under 5 years.
Switched to the yellow tops, and have only lost 1 battery so far. (Under warranty)

Right now the yellow tops have been disconnected since the end of November...they read 11.57 volts, and 11.72 volts. (Not liking that at all)

I don't think they like being charged over 14 volts.

14-14.4 should be fine with any Optima or other battery for that matter... but if you are charging them well over that, you need to get your charging system fixed or no battery will last. There are not any automotive batteries that LIKE being overcharged...

I run a set of interstate group 31's, been in the truck for about two years and no leaking or other problems.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Biggest baddest NAPA battery i can get. But the discount i get is mentally handicapped so you might not get as good of a deal as some people do

Back