Spun bearing

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
So long story short I have a Engine here that spun #1 rod bearing but also started to spin #2 & #3 only slightly. I've inspected the Engine and can't find anything wrong with it. Mains look brand new and so does 4-6 rods. The oil is very sticky like it has a some stabilizer additives in it. Normally loss of oil will spin #6 first. But the kicker is the guy that had it before me was welding on his exhaust and fired the truck up and it started knocking as soon as he started it according to him. Anyone seen an issue like this? It's an 05 common rail. I'm kinda baffled by why it did it with no loss of pressure.

So long story short I have a Engine here that spun #1 rod bearing but also started to spin #2 & #3 only slightly. I've inspected the Engine and can't find anything wrong with it. Mains look brand new and so does 4-6 rods. The oil is very sticky like it has a some stabilizer additives in it. Normally loss of oil will spin #6 first. But the kicker is the guy that had it before me was welding on his exhaust and fired the truck up and it started knocking as soon as he started it according to him. Anyone seen an issue like this? It's an 05 common rail. I'm kinda baffled by why it did it with no loss of pressure.

Clearly the engine didn't appreciate having the exhaust molested!!! :lolly:

Threre are cases where the bearings have been the path too ground, which results in pitting of a bearing.

Clearly the engine didn't appreciate having the exhaust molested!!! :lolly:
He was unhooking stacks and put a turn down on it. It was not happy!!
Threre are cases where the bearings have been the path too ground, which results in pitting of a bearing.

And see #2 & #3 the bearing halves were some what stuck together at the ends where they touch. I've always heard it could happen, just never seen it myself so obviously it causes a lot of second guessing as to if there is another issue that can't be seen.

That's interesting. I have heard of this but didn't figure it was ever possible unless you clamped the ground on the driveline and were welding elsewhere. Even if he clamped the ground on the frame then I guess I could see continuity still go through the crank to get to the exhaust being the mounts aren't solid, likely not but possible.

I've seen this phenomenon happen at work. Contract welders welding on piping attached to a brand new pump and electric motor. They were attaching ground clamps to grounding lugs on the pump bases. Fried the motors, stuck the bearings, and ruined pump seals. I can definitely see the current path going through the motor if he grounded to the frame while welding the exhaust.

I guess this is possible. I've welded on many of trucks in the past and they are all still running (I think). Only disconnected the battery cables.

Did the current actually fused the bearings together slightly?

I guess this is possible. I've welded on many of trucks in the past and they are all still running (I think). Only disconnected the battery cables.

Did the current actually fused the bearings together slightly?

Yes it appears to have fused #2 & #3 ends together. When I took the rods loose I had to use a screw driver and open the the bearings up to get them off the crank. When I get back to the shop I will look at them again and snap a pic of them

Yes it appears to have fused #2 & #3 ends together. When I took the rods loose I had to use a screw driver and open the the bearings up to get them off the crank. When I get back to the shop I will look at them again and snap a pic of them

All this over a dang exhaust swap!

What's the moral of all this..... don't run stacks!

Back