View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #39
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
320,8xx miles.

About a week ago the woman said the truck "feels funny" it "sputters". Well me being new at the 7.3l, I have tried to diagnose it, but I figured someone on here might be able to help.

Let me start by saying I have never had a good ear for hearing misses on a motor unless it's a total dead hole. That being said I think we have a miss. I can't hear it at idle but I do notice it on the 1200rpm high idle. The motor shakes a little more now and you can feel it in the seat and wheel at rest during the high idle. I have had it on two different SnapOn scanners and they both show #8 failing a contribution/balance check. The second shop/scanner showed P1670 which seemed to be related to the IDM. So, I borrowed a spare IDM and tried it. It did nothing. I put a new Ford CPS in to try, it did nothing. My ICP and IPR numbers are in check and the HPOP is allegedly "fresh". Where do I go next? Is there anywhere in southern or eastern Ohio that could definitively tell me it's a bad injector? Local Ford dealer is backed up to mid July.

If it is the injectors, who are the better shops and what size for a PMR motor that the wife drives but I also want to enjoy driving? I was considering Swamp 175/0, Full Force 180, and Full Force 180/30.

On the other hand... I am HEAVILY considering a Cummins swap. I count off a million reasons why I would love to have one in there, especially right now. Spare parts, knowledge, simplicity, low end grunt, power, etc, etc. The only issue holding me back is cold starting in the winter. The woman drives this and I don't want her dealing with 10 minute smokey cold starts. My buddy's VE truck starts pretty good in the winter. My 2nd gen without a grid heater and timing around 19 does not. Any advice if I go that route? Maybe run a intake plate with two grid heaters and keep the timing reasonable? Transmission control?
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser