Crank Gear Removal

Aaron Loy

I am working on a 1997 12V that had a cam gear busted off and of coarse made a mess but nothing that can't be fixed. The crank gear sheered the key and spun 15-20 degrees. I have been able to get a jaw style puller behind it and put heat to it but this isn't getting me anywhere. I've heard of some welding the gear in place or cut and splitting it off, however it would be great to fix this in the block :bang. Any suggestions?

Get creative or remove the crank. If you must ask how you probably should leave someone with experience do the job. We always pull the crank.

Heating the gear does not work and you'll never get it off with a puller.

Last edited:
Have a rosebud? If you get the puller loaded up and use a rosebud, I bet it'll pop off IF the key isn't snagging it.

Other suggestion would be to mask off the engine, then get in there with a small cut off wheel and finish it off with a rotary burr. Do it above the keyway. Once its through, you can use a chisel to help spread it apart to pull off easier. Just have to be careful to avoid hitting the crank.

Use a puller with a cage so the jaws can't spread. I pulled two gears in one day for a swap. Annealing is a concern for reuse.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

I've also heard of some people welding the gear in place. I can time it the way it is as long as it stays there. I understand that could be a problem later but I'm looking for a quick inexpensive fix.

quick fixes are temporary
if you do it right the first time it eliminates problems down the road...
i would say cut it off...

I successfuly pulled mine of after buyin the best three jaw puller i could get and heating th s*** out of it.

A POSI LOCK 104 gear puller with an air gun will give you a shot. But if it's binding on the key too much, you'll probably have to cut it off.

Shortly after I posted the thread I ended up sealing the block up good and using a grinder to cut a slot out of the gear and then used a chisel the split it the rest of the way. Drilled out the sheared dowel and put the new back on and finished the build.Truck is now in Kentucky somewhere and running good.

Back