View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
BrewTown

Name: BrewTown
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Allison 6 speed into 7.3 Excursion

Thanks in advance for solving all my problems, and helping with all the labor, over the internet.

I drive an '00 Excursion, 7.3 4x4 currently with a 4R100 and 283k. 3.73 gears, 285s (32"), nothing too modified.
Duties are primarily a daily, with plenty of highway heading to jobs, kids sports, and it's the vacation rig. Sold the camper, but not saying I won't get another. Any towing would most likely be under 12k.

With that out of the way, I want a taller overdrive, and I need a trans built to handle my injectors that are waiting to go in. 230/100s. With those injectors and my KC38R it should put me, in the hero tune, between 500/1000 and 575/1200. I know, some will laugh at that.

I understand that an Allison with a basic rebuild with aftermarket clutches, a good billet stator converter and good tuning should be good for 750/1500.

Biggest questions come from adaptors and controls.
My top 2 adaptor options are SAE3 from a school bus or MD truck, or DeStroked adaptor and flex-plate.

Not sure if the SAE3 setup fits in the tunnel, downpipe (4" Diamond Eye), what starter? This would be the lesser cost, but how well does the flex-plate hold that power? This would mean SAE bellhousing, which I understand all have the speed sensor, so any '06-09 GM trans would work.

DeStroked adaptor is more money, but makes for a shorter driveline. Flex-plate is plenty strong for my use. This means '06 GM trans, maybe some '07. Rest up to '09 can be used with a bellhousing with the sensor, which is available.

Next is controls. Jason at transmission tuner with his MD kit. I've heard nothing but good, although he himself cautions over 500 hp. Biggest downside currently is manual shifting is you only get to select highest gear, not select the gear. If I want to make a dyno pull from 1200 RPM, it'll downshift. Not sure this is really a big deal, but I'm a control freak maybe?

DeStroked uses a GM TCM, and manual mode is whatever you select. Apparently that's how the GM trucks are. Less expensive possibly, and either tuning from them or any D-Max tuner can EFI Live tune it.

NP273 adapter should be a clocking ring, GM 40 tooth tone ring with a sensor in the adaptor housing, and a 29 tooth input in the transfer case. I don't think there's surprises there.

I have a local driveline shop that can adjust driveshaft lengths and balance.

Sorry for writing a book. Thanks for reading!
I'm in for any feedback. Although 'just build the 4R' isn't necessary...