Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Thermostat Fluctuation?

Alright, so I just read this:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...mperature.html

But... When the truck was on it's original thermostat, it didnt do this.
Then I swapped the radiator and I dont remember it doing that after, then I swapped thermostats to a 24V Napa 190Deg one and it worked with fluctuation. This was over a year ago.

Two weeks ago I went to Cummins and paid $40 for a legit 12V thermostat and it wanted to operate between here (160) and here (170):
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

They are supposed to operate at 181deg and I wasnt seeing that. I even swapped the two seals.

I ended up getting my money back from Cummins, and tossing in a new AutoZone one from a 24V (looks the exact same as my old Napa one btw), but now I am getting the same fluctuation.

I feel like I have been in other 12V's that dont fluctuate.

Does anyone have any insight or a solution? I want to get a 24V Cummins Tstat, but if that is a waste of money, I might not. I just want my truck to warm up quickly, and then stay at temp (Ideally 190deg). Regardless of your coolant setup, (assuming your tstat isnt broken and that your coolant system can handle it) the tstat should keep the temperature at a single spot. It shouldnt dump, it should slowly open more and more to keep the engien at the correct temp.

or am I crazy?