4th gen 48re daily?

CHDiesel

Working at 800hp on my daily with room to grow. Have an s467.7 on the bench. Picking out injectors.

Eventually will add an s500 under the 67. And fully built engine. So future proof is wanted.

I'm thinking 1,500hp rated 48re, with anteater and porcupine. Any problems with that idea? I heard I wont lose features, true? Would clutches that grippy be too soft to last long being daily driven? Is 1500hp build overkill or good insurance if I only plan on 1200hp some day?

Looking at gear ratios, Im okay losing 2 middle gears. First is higher, which is too low already. I hate 2nd. I live rural, and it always bounces around town between reving 2nd or low rpm 3rd. I'll miss 5th. I'll be towing heavy, but people were fine before 6 speeds.

I searched tons of forums, and got some questions answered. These ones are the few that never got a concrete answer.

With an anteater and a porcupine you should not lose any features or functionality of you truck. I have owned a few 68rfe and 48re trucks. I’ve been able to tow fine with both transmissions. I think the 68 may work a little better for really heavy loads but the 48 works pretty good too. I’m planning/starting a 1,000 hp build now myself and I plan to drive it a lot on the street, nearly daily. It won’t be my only way to ride though. It may not be feasible to truly daily drive a 1,200 hp truck especially if it’s your only way to ride. It has been done before, but you have to be realistic. Things break and wear out more often than some people expect at that power level. Good luck either way with your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be feasible to truly daily drive a 1,200 hp truck especially if it’s your only way to ride. It has been done before, but you have to be realistic. Things break and wear out more often than some people expect at that power level. Good luck either way with your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im building the engine and just adding a big turbo under the 67. So I can tune it down to 700hp or lower for daily driving. The engine will be just another mid hp build until turned up.

I do have 2 other rides to work just incase I put my foot in my mouth with this build. Ive just heard having a way overbuilt trans makes it less reliable.

If you have a bunch of free time, and/or a lot of extra money, a 1200hp capable daily is a good idea.

I would call Lavon at Firepunk, sounds like you want a truck just like his 3rd gen.

Not a lot of free time, and barely just enough money. I can't afford a dedicated racer or puller along side a tow rig and grocery getter.

Not a lot of free time, and barely just enough money. I can't afford a dedicated racer or puller along side a tow rig and grocery getter.

Then I would say it would be wise to build a dedicated toy. It is cheaper/easier/smarter/more enjoyable experience to have a dedicated toy.

A gutted 5000lb 600hp truck will go just as fast as a 1200hp 10000lb daily. It will cost less, break less, and even when it does... you still make it to work on Monday.

A 600hp daily is one thing, but a 1200hp truck even turned down is really expensive to build, maintain, and repair. And it will be down pretty regular, I dont care what parts you use.

...A 600hp daily is one thing, but a 1200hp truck even turned down is really expensive to build, maintain, and repair. And it will be down pretty regular, I dont care what parts you use.

This exactly. I daily drive a 1000hp 48re swapped truck and it's current my only ride. It's gotta get me to work and back and it's a constant struggle.

My trans was built by Wilson Patterson Diesel and it's the same spec that Johnny at stainless ran in his 2400+hp drag truck. Control is done by a PCS-2800 and I'm constantly making refinements to the tune.

It tows just fine using the OD cancel switch but would not recommend daily driving a similar setup.

Back