NHRDA going 1/8 mile for Super and Pro Street

Ken, good to hear from you Sir. Ya it was a bad deal, I had 3 neck surgerys prior to the wreck, cervical fusions. I was dumb and hard-headed and once again came out of retirement to race again. I missed it more than I ever thought possible. Took my old first hot rod and spent a winter on her, all round moly car and 1511hp blown on alcohol. 4.60 car but I had a e.t. genie restrictor plate and slowed it down to run both 5.00 and 5.80 indexes all over. My last season was definitely my best and most fun.
The drunk Bastard wrecked 5 of us that year all at different tracks which have banned him. I didn't know and had never heard of him, we found each other in the finals and by then it was like 1 o'clock a.m., guy pitted next to him said he had drank a 30 pack of bud wiser by himself and that he couldn't walk. I was the Last to get the plucking memo.
It broke my wrist and 4 ribs, concussion, and blew out another disk or 3. I went to Germany and had both cervical and lumbar artificial discs replaced, 4 more levels. I have no natural moving disk in my neck, their artificial or fussed. so my 4th and 5th surgery all in one this time. I'm good and defiantly staying out of the racers this time, surgery cost me 54k Cash out of pocket, no insurance coverage out of the country. My work on the chassis saved my life, it was wadded up but nothing came apart and no broke welds, sure glad I doubled all my seat belt tabs.

Guys take your cage work, welds, all sfi stuff very serious!

Last edited:
Wow I can't believe someone didn't inform the track.

I ask to run singles whenever possible to take out that risk or me getting into someone else.

As for the 1/8 mile vs 1/4 debate I think it's the right move for PS and SS but hope prostock stays 1/4.

Track notified?

Wow I can't believe someone didn't inform the track.

I ask to run singles whenever possible to take out that risk or me getting into someone else.

As for the 1/8 mile vs 1/4 debate I think it's the right move for PS and SS but hope prostock stays 1/4.

It was the Finals at a big money 5k to win race, of course everyone there knew. There wasn't a person on the property that didn't run down to my crash site, a local pastor pulled me out and prayed for me . Best memory of that night. My son was standing behind me on the starting line, so glad I didn't die that night, can't imagine that for my son. Every day is a Good day

Keep it 1/4 mile and put a max weight in the classes. Encourage racers to stop making 3/4 and 1 ton trucks run 9’s and 8’s because of a ridiculously high minimum weight for the speeds they are achieving.

Going 1/8 mile doesn’t fix what 6000lbs does in a crash. They will still be going insanely fast by the 1/8th. Going 1/8 mile won’t stop 6000lbs trucks from breaking regularly.

Diesel racing needs to focus on losing weight for multiple reasons.

Keep it 1/4 mile and put a max weight in the classes. Encourage racers to stop making 3/4 and 1 ton trucks run 9’s and 8’s because of a ridiculously high minimum weight for the speeds they are achieving.

Going 1/8 mile doesn’t fix what 6000lbs does in a crash. They will still be going insanely fast by the 1/8th. Going 1/8 mile won’t stop 6000lbs trucks from breaking regularly.

If that happens, so goes the majority of the participants in many classes.

There really is no such thing as a 6k lb true DD street strip truck.

I like the "get light" path. Remove the minimum weight restriction on the classes, and put a maximum weight limit. At the top classes, it's not about a huge truck going fast, but a diesel going fast. They could use other vehicles to go much faster, much safer. Anyone know the weight of Miliken's Nova? Wasn't Bodacious 3×××lbs? These guys already make huge power that they cannot use, they need to move to better chassis.
Check out this screenshot, can't imagine it's making as much power as the top guys, but is faster if I recall correctly.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2898f3aea1e7db310e7d503f3a075c3e.jpg

Last edited:
At that time that was flying for a diesel! Lots changed since then of course, but it's safe to say most SS trucks can still fall in the daily category.

Have you. Been around a SS truck? It's a gutted 2000hp truck. There is very little if anything daily worthy about them

Have you. Been around a SS truck? It's a gutted 2000hp truck. There is very little if anything daily worthy about them

There are plenty of 10 sec capable trucks daily driven that don't run at the track all for a lot of reasons....

2000hp 2 years ago was a joke remember!

There are plenty of 10 sec capable trucks daily driven that don't run at the track all for a lot of reasons....

2000hp 2 years ago was a joke remember!

This class runs 8.50-8.80s j will agree 10 seconds is one thing but SS is another and people have been making that power for years. He'll even on singles.

At that time that was flying for a diesel! Lots changed since then of course, but it's safe to say most SS trucks can still fall in the daily category.
You are kidding of course, this hasn't been true in several years. 10 sec trucks are a dime a dozen now, most run in the 11.90 and 10.90 index classes in NHRDA. The only way a 10 sec truck can win in SS is if it's the only truck entered or all the fast ones break. Which does happen on occasion. One of the main reasons NHRDA quit have friday nite test and tune is trucks were breaking.

Last edited:
I think 1/8 mile is a good move. I have opinions about weights and indexes, but I believe that is for another thread.

Top Diesel should remain 1/4 mile, but I would not mind seeing it at 1/8 either.

I agree on the weight focus but on nothing else. Going 1/8 keeps the trucks at 120-130 mph. The 1/4 is 150 to almost 170 now. So its absolutely a huge change.
Going 1/8 is also huge in the breakage department. The second half of the track is BRUTAL on an engine when you are running big hp. Most don't understand it until they've got into that range. But there is a reason ODSS moved pro street to 1/8 a couple years ago. And the engine failure has went down tremendously.

Ken, good to hear from you Sir. Ya it was a bad deal, I had 3 neck surgerys prior to the wreck, cervical fusions. I was dumb and hard-headed and once again came out of retirement to race again. I missed it more than I ever thought possible. Took my old first hot rod and spent a winter on her, all round moly car and 1511hp blown on alcohol. 4.60 car but I had a e.t. genie restrictor plate and slowed it down to run both 5.00 and 5.80 indexes all over. My last season was definitely my best and most fun.
The drunk Bastard wrecked 5 of us that year all at different tracks which have banned him. I didn't know and had never heard of him, we found each other in the finals and by then it was like 1 o'clock a.m., guy pitted next to him said he had drank a 30 pack of bud wiser by himself and that he couldn't walk. I was the Last to get the plucking memo.
It broke my wrist and 4 ribs, concussion, and blew out another disk or 3. I went to Germany and had both cervical and lumbar artificial discs replaced, 4 more levels. I have no natural moving disk in my neck, their artificial or fussed. so my 4th and 5th surgery all in one this time. I'm good and defiantly staying out of the racers this time, surgery cost me 54k Cash out of pocket, no insurance coverage out of the country. My work on the chassis saved my life, it was wadded up but nothing came apart and no broke welds, sure glad I doubled all my seat belt tabs.

Guys take your cage work, welds, all sfi stuff very serious!

It was the Finals at a big money 5k to win race, of course everyone there knew. There wasn't a person on the property that didn't run down to my crash site, a local pastor pulled me out and prayed for me . Best memory of that night. My son was standing behind me on the starting line, so glad I didn't die that night, can't imagine that for my son. Every day is a Good day

Holy Crap Ryan!!!

Can you at least sue the track for expenses? So sorry to hear about this!

Bad night

Holy Crap Ryan!!!

Can you at least sue the track for expenses? So sorry to hear about this!

I wish Timbo, I really got screwed over that night. There was No ambulance on property for some reason, Cops were not called by 1 single person, and he got off free. I was drug out and taken to the E.R. We're I stayed for a few days. Close to a week later once out, I looked him up and called his no good sorry ass, of course he was slobbering drunk then too. I told him that I wouldn't allow him to cost me 100k that night and that he was responsible, he called me everything but a white boy and said he wished it would have just killed me. That's a tough one to get over.
So 32k from E.R. , a cervical fussion in Dallas not sure my part on it, it failed, so off to Germany to get fixed right, that was 54k Cash out of pocket, not to mention the car would have brought 40k. Bad night. AND it retired me from my passion.
Sure I got a attorney to check it out but it was a dead end due to no police called and private property. Any one want to make some diesel parts cash, lol

I wish Timbo, I really got screwed over that night. There was No ambulance on property for some reason, Cops were not called by 1 single person, and he got off free. I was drug out and taken to the E.R. We're I stayed for a few days. Close to a week later once out, I looked him up and called his no good sorry ass, of course he was slobbering drunk then too. I told him that I wouldn't allow him to cost me 100k that night and that he was responsible, he called me everything but a white boy and said he wished it would have just killed me. That's a tough one to get over.
So 32k from E.R. , a cervical fussion in Dallas not sure my part on it, it failed, so off to Germany to get fixed right, that was 54k Cash out of pocket, not to mention the car would have brought 40k. Bad night. AND it retired me from my passion.
Sure I got a attorney to check it out but it was a dead end due to no police called and private property. Any one want to make some diesel parts cash, lol

Being on private property doesn't mean $hit......

They have to carry liability for the grounds. Sure there's a natural "assumed risk" which is what they'd claim, but track official negligence is your case.

The technical loophole you could easily go after is the obvious, and argue the means that of which the track doesn't supervise alcohol consumption of drivers to ensure participant and spectator safety.

Just don'twait to long as theirs statute of limitations on claimed for damages which would range from the obvious to lost work, emotional, pain, and the big one.... future risk of complications or anything as result of the event.

Being on private property doesn't mean $hit......

They have to carry liability for the grounds. Sure there's a natural "assumed risk" which is what they'd claim, but track official negligence is your case.

The technical loophole you could easily go after is the obvious, and argue the means that of which the track doesn't supervise alcohol consumption of drivers to ensure participant and spectator safety.

Just don'twait to long as theirs statute of limitations on claimed for damages which would range from the obvious to lost work, emotional, pain, and the big one.... future risk of complications or anything as result of the event.

Good advise and thank you.

Back