CR ring ?

spooled05

So I'm in the process of building a short block for my truck , its .020 over .
I got .007 ptw , the top ring gap is .019 which I'm happy with but the second ring is .044 which I think is to much for a dd. Ive checked a couple of the other ring sets and their the same , mahle pistons and rings , what do yall think?

Not sure on the 5.9 but the 6.7 spec is .012"-.018" top ring, .032"-.047" intermediate ring, and .010"-.023" on the oil control ring. I say run it.

Ring manufacturers are opening up the gap on the second ring do to emissions is what Mahle told me. The new rings are typically .045-.050" gap on the second ring.

.44 sounds large, I built my motor with a .33-.35 second ring, 4.213 bore

Yea , I was wantin around .030 . What do y'all think about doing a gapless 2nd ring for a dd? I've searched but no real good answers either way for daily driving .

Quite a few people running total seal second ring with good results. That's the route I'm going with my rebuild... If I ever get back to it, lol.

I'm probably gonna go that route just would like some people that actually run them in their daily' s input . I'm 10k everyday and my 5er is around 12-13k , just wanna make sure they'll be ok in that environment, don't want to have to do it again , lol !What's the hold up on your build QMFB?

Broken input shaft in my '08 "backup" truck. Took out the converter too... Just dropped $3,000 in parts to fix it. And that was cash I was planning on putting towards the rebuild on my '04. Actually working on it at this very minute, lol.

Attachments

• 1498266741925618871655.jpg
    1498266741925618871655.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
Was talking to "Broaner" over on CF a few weeks ago about the total seal 2nd ring. He did it on his rebuild and says they work great. Says he has no blow-by at all... Might hit him up on his gap and all.

Mine is not a daily driver, but I have no blow by at .048 on my second ring. Probably will have to go to cummins parts if you want a tighter gap.

I would not recommend a total seal 2nd ring in a daily driver application with standard piston to wall clearance, if the OEM is increasing the clearance on the 2nd ring, I would be leery of any internet advice stating the opposite.

I run Total Seal gapless second rings on my 05. It's driven about 10,000 miles a year, and about 350 1/4 passes a year. It consistently runs 10.7's, truck weighs 7200 with me in it. The engine has over 30,000 miles on it since I rebuilt it, and has zero issues. No blow by, no oil usage, no unusual noise. Oil analysis is good.

Of course the jury is out until I tear it down for a rebuild, but from what I can see now, I would absolutely do it again.

Paul

I run Total Seal gapless second rings on my 05. It's driven about 10,000 miles a year, and about 350 1/4 passes a year. It consistently runs 10.7's, truck weighs 7200 with me in it. The engine has over 30,000 miles on it since I rebuilt it, and has zero issues. No blow by, no oil usage, no unusual noise. Oil analysis is good.

Of course the jury is out until I tear it down for a rebuild, but from what I can see now, I would absolutely do it again.

Paul

Do you happen to remember what PTW you ended up with on that rebuild ?

.007 PTW. Early 03 SO pistons, Swain coated. It was designed to just be a backup engine, but it has been running so good, I haven't had the heart to pull it out.

Back