Cam install issue

spooled05

Ok I got a cr engine I'm currently assembling , when I got it it had a cam in it , got all the machine work done and trying to install my new Hamilton cam and it goes in the first bearing but as soon as it hits the second journal its goes in maybe a 1/4" and that's it . Does the same from the rear also , I got a stock 12v cam and its the same. This block had the oil squirters in the mains so my question is was there a different journal size with some of the early cr engines ? Has anyone else ever ran across this issue?

What cam is it? I just installed my 188/220 with no issues. Measure the cam bore inside diameter and the cam journals. Contact zach @ Hamilton cams.

The cams are within cummins spec , the cam journals in the block are to small . I've never seen one to small ! If they were wore out I'd understand , never ran into this before ,

I've always had to turn the cam as I install them. I install the gear onto the cam before installation and if possible, install the cam before the crank and piston assemblies.

Is it actually being stopped by the next cam journal?

If not and the crank, rods and pistons are already installed, rotate the assembly so the rod journals and cheeks are vertical. Sounds like it's hitting #2 and #5 which are companion cylinders.

Last edited:
Dude I'm not that stupid ! The journals are to small , it's not like they can shrink so they were evadently made that small / just curious if anyone else ever ran into this problem ? These are the kind of replays I'd expect off of cummins forum , lmao !

I did run into this Using a 188/220 in my 2004.5. I ended up cutting a slot in the end of my stock cam lengthwise and "reamed" the bore. Seemed that it had a burr or damaged edge on the journal.

Don't know if that is the right way to go about it but it worked and ran without any issues.

Are the outer journals on the cam and block the correct size? If they are it would be impossible to feed the cam in from either direction with smaller inside journals inside. Whats the chances the machine shop decided to find cam bearings that fit inside the block because they thought they belonged there?

Back