NHRDA going 1/8 mile for Super and Pro Street

I don't want to veer this off of the 1/8 thing but. the dang hobby has gotten extremely expensive to hobby in and off the charts to even try to build something to compete with. if you don't have young poor kids with big dreams interested in whatever your promoting then you just have old guys screwing around until they give up. young poor people need to be able to compete. old diesel trucks still hold a huge price tag (10k for a pile of CHIT) and new trucks cost more than most peoples houses. This is all before you attempt to play in a particular area of the hobby. dyno, strip, pulls or just enjoying a nice street truck. 10 years ago everyone wanted a diesel. now everyone opts for a gasser. not everyone can have sponsor's and not everyone can be competitive, but its important to keep the non competitive crowd interested and vested in it or you eventually have nothing.

events need max hp limits not weight and length and times and all that other garbage. if you set up classes that max hp to 400hp then the driver has to be good the truck can be built for a couple grand and they own a competitive toy.

if the rules state 5k lbs no faster than 9 seconds than the only thing that limits the class is the money people have to spend in it. which runs EVERYONE away because face it... most of us don't have the cash to be competitive in the 1500hp range

end concern is if the sport/hobby continues to become more out of financial reach for competitors and the spectators it will die.

something else... CHEAP FUN is what matters. Scheids Extravaganza use to cost $10 per truckload of people within legal limits. last I went it was $20 per person. that's a bummer for a spectator. the UCC neat as it was good money for a ticket just to get in the doors. people want stuff to do but so often than not the price to get in turns the masses away.

Last edited:
I don't want to veer this off of the 1/8 thing but. the dang hobby has gotten extremely expensive to hobby in and off the charts to even try to build something to compete with. if you don't have young poor kids with big dreams interested in whatever your promoting then you just have old guys screwing around until they give up. young poor people need to be able to compete. old diesel trucks still hold a huge price tag (10k for a pile of CHIT) and new trucks cost more than most peoples houses. This is all before you attempt to play in a particular area of the hobby. dyno, strip, pulls or just enjoying a nice street truck. 10 years ago everyone wanted a diesel. now everyone opts for a gasser. not everyone can have sponsor's and not everyone can be competitive, but its important to keep the non competitive crowd interested and vested in it or you eventually have nothing.

events need max hp limits not weight and length and times and all that other garbage. if you set up classes that max hp to 400hp then the driver has to be good the truck can be built for a couple grand and they own a competitive toy.

if the rules state 5k lbs no faster than 9 seconds than the only thing that limits the class is the money people have to spend in it. which runs EVERYONE away because face it... most of us don't have the cash to be competitive in the 1500hp range

end concern is if the sport/hobby continues to become more out of financial reach for competitors and the spectators it will die.

something else... CHEAP FUN is what matters. Scheids Extravaganza use to cost $10 per truckload of people within legal limits. last I went it was $20 per person. that's a bummer for a spectator. the UCC neat as it was good money for a ticket just to get in the doors. people want stuff to do but so often than not the price to get in turns the masses away.

There is "Cheap" racing at virtually every event I go to, it is called Bracket Racing... It doesn't matter if you run 20-second ET or 10-second ET you still have a good chance of winning if you can cut a light and your truck (or car) is consistent...

The top classes need to remain virtually unlimited as that is where the excitement is... The stands are full to watch the Scheid Rail and Pro Street/Pro Mod competitors not bracket classes.

As for entry fees, that is above my pay grade, but I will say that people are still paying it, but maybe they could draw even more with a lower entry fee...

Index classes are the easiest way to limit vehicles, and separate into affordable classes, that can realistically be monitored.. It doesn't matter what weight, or what power, as long as you can run X time and cross the line first.

I run the 6.70 index and have a blast with a stock rod cast piston 12v. It doesn't get much cheaper then that. Truck cost me 2k rust free. You should try racing ET with a. Truck. You would surprised how tough it is

There’s a couple trucks cutting some really good 60ft times now, but they will get better now.

Maybe so but for the majority it's always been very poor and I've never understood why. We have massive torque advantage over the gas crowd which can Really be applied well in the first 60 if everything's in place. He'll I was consistent 1.32 60s 10 years ago at 4500# and I made nothing for power maybe 1k. So comparably I don't see how these 1500 plus hp trucks are mostly still stuck in the 1.40s or worse. In the 1/4 you have some room to make that top end charge and drive around some but lots less of that in the 1/8. When I went to the Altered with the same power level I was consistent 1.09 back then with others with twice the power were stuck in the high teens, being 1/8 I hope to see people regear and make them grind through the traps, that starting line gear advantage with massive torque should really help the bulk of the PS guys. I'd like to see mid 1.20s at 4500#, that will be very impresive. And .99x for TD

Last edited:
All pro classes should be 8th mile...especially the top classes.

We 60ft 1.07 in our truck before we crashed it and have gone 1.02 with the dragster....hope to go sub 1.0 next year. Its mostly a power control thing, too much or not enough can slow you down.

All pro classes should be 8th mile...especially the top classes.

We 60ft 1.07 in our truck before we crashed it and have gone 1.02 with the dragster....hope to go sub 1.0 next year. Its mostly a power control thing, too much or not enough can slow you down.

Dragster shouldn't. I wanna see dragster in the 1/4. They are 100% built for it

Dragster shouldn't. I wanna see dragster in the 1/4. They are 100% built for it

Actually any vehicle with the proper equipment and the sfi cert is 100% built for it.

But that dosent mean it is 100% safe....dragsters are among the most crashed in the pro classes....just a simple hour of nhra will show you that.

Yep I do not see a single reason that isn't self serving to not run them out.
Only reason I can see a rail wanting a short track is they can't back half like others can.

Lol, or because 8th mile requiers better driver skills. Back half means zilch, ET wins races

Actually any vehicle with the proper equipment and the sfi cert is 100% built for it.

But that dosent mean it is 100% safe....dragsters are among the most crashed in the pro classes....just a simple hour of nhra will show you that.

Your right. 6000 pounds is meant to go 170.
What is your reason for not wanting to run it? Safety is not a reason. Safest diesels racing right now.

Thats not even close to true... Maybe its 100% built to get the sticker required. That sticker doesn't mean squat if a super street trucks thats 6000 lbs wrecks doing 160-170 mph.

Saftey

Thats not even close to true... Maybe its 100% built to get the sticker required. That sticker doesn't mean squat if a super street trucks thats 6000 lbs wrecks doing 160-170 mph.

You betcha, that much weight at speed = death in my opinion possibibly even if up to spec in more cases than not. To most people it's just easy to say words, I've been there. Last September I flipped my (Avatar pic) Datsun 260Z end over end 12 to 15 times at over 150mph, 1/8 mile 5.00 index race. A drunk driver took me out just after the stripe, I was reaching for the chutes when the drunk prick darted over in my lane and knocked me off the track. I jumped his 8ft wheelie bars sending me straight up coming down right on the nose then end over end another dozen or so times. From where I left the track car finally stopped close to 300 yards out in a hay meadow.

Point is be Safe guys! Safe as possible anyways.

It's Really put a Lot of Hate in my heart for people drinking at the track. Save that stupid **** for home. It's a GD race not a party
Ryan

Last edited:
You betcha, that much weight at speed = death in my opinion possibibly even if up to spec in more cases than not. To most people it's just easy to say words, I've been there. Last September I flipped my (Avatar pic) Datsun 260Z end over end 12 to 15 times at over 150mph, 1/8 mile 5.00 index race. A drunk driver took me out just after the stripe, I was reaching for the chutes when the drunk prick darted over in my lane and knocked me off the track. I jumped his 8ft wheelie bars sending me straight up coming down right on the nose then end over end another dozen or so times. From where I left the track car finally stopped close to 300 yards out in a hay meadow.

It's Really put a Lot of Hate in my heart for people drinking at the track. Save that stupid **** for home. It's a GD race not a party
Ryan
Should be a zero tolerance policy at ALL motorsports events, even the "redneck" sledpulls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ryan

Damn Ryan was that before your surgery or after? What if anything did it do to you injury wise? How in the hell did a drunk driver get on the track? He should be banned for life. I always worry about that, the other guy coming over in my lane and taking me out.

Back