Cut off Intake

JerrodGlover

Pulling God
In the article about the Millers Mod trucks in this months Diesel Power there new motor and old one make exactly the same HP. The old motor has the intake cut off and a 3.5" tube manifold made for it. The new one has the stock manifold on it. Can anyone show a direct link between the tube manifold and a gain in power, with dyno numbers or trap speeds?

I've talked to several people about this. Not one said it made any hp worth the cost to do it. This was as far as a 2.6 or 2.8 set up.

In the article about the Millers Mod trucks in this months Diesel Power there new motor and old one make exactly the same HP. The old motor has the intake cut off and a 3.5" tube manifold made for it. The new one has the stock manifold on it. Can anyone show a direct link between the tube manifold and a gain in power, with dyno numbers or trap speeds?

I saw a dyno of a 1300 hp motor that showed 115 more hp with the intake cut off.

Ill find out the exact changes. If any other changes were made besides the manifold they may be confidential. But if it was just the manifold and something small I will share.

Last edited:
On something with twins or tripples I could see it making a difference. More from the ability to port the intake side.

On something with twins or tripples I could see it making a difference. More from the ability to port the intake side.

did you ever think you would be saying that??

Most often the intake is milled off for port work that is unaccessible otherwise, and with the increase flow capacity in the head, it only makes sense to do the same throughout the system.$.02

Hopefully Malcom can jump in here and clear it up.. I was told that he didn't think it was worth the effort at all to cut off the intake. Seems it's mainly for the cool factor (which is enough for a number of us to do it)

I would think it would be very min. once your putting the air in more than just the 1 factory location. Building a wye or tee or what ever to get a second dump in the int., back there between cylinders 5 and 6 does wonders, I was burning pistons before I built the first one and none since... knock on wood.

Back