View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #15171
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
With your experience, who manufactured the best OTR engine and why?
I mostly agree with Cody, it seems with Cat the issues they have can be fixed. The S60 Detroit was a very reliable engine but because of the goofy seals and gaskets there was no fixing the leaks. And the myth that the parts are cheap only applies to the external parts, internal is the same if not more than Cat. With the ISX it's loaded with crap designs. The head around the injector tip is paper thin and crack, they break valves as often as a Cat would blow a HG. The wrist pin is way oversized which makes the distance between the pin and the top of the crown thin and they crack. Belt driven water pump is annoying, if my truck breaks a belt I can keep on trucking.

Cummins has one job and that's to build engines. They should be the best at everything and sadly they're not. I mean with Cat they build equipment and sold truck engines just as a side gig. The only Cat issues we had non stop was head gaskets and since we've been o-ringing the heads, filling the groves and lowering compression on the Acert's, (for anything over stock power) those issues have disappeared. Occasionally they will crack a liner flange but that's pretty rare. I don't know how to fix the ISX issues, I mean valves aren't new technology but it's apparently above Cummins ability. And these issues aren't on modified trucks, about 50% are stock so it's obviously a manufacturing issue. Seeing "made in China" on the new Cummins parts doesn't make me feel any better than these issues will be going away soon.