View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Leadfoot

Name: Leadfoot
Title: Here to learn
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT-Torque View Post
So the wheelbase requirement stated in the rules of 158" which was apparently a misprint and not enforced in 2012 wasn't updated for 2013?

Why is it that that every other 4x4 class that PPL offers has a hitch requirement that promotes fair competition regardless of wheelbase except for the 2.6 class?

Super Stock 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 134"
hitch height maximum 26"
point of hook to centerline of rear axle shall be no less than 27% of truck wheelbase

Super Modified 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 133"
hitch height maximum 26"
point of hook to centerline of rear axle shall be no less than 36% of truck wheelbase

2.6" Diesel 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 158" (supposedly implied at 172")
hitch height maximum 26"
Hook point must be no closer than 44” of centerline of rear axle (regardless of wheelbase) WTF?
I can't speak for PPL, but what I have seen over the years is:
Only some classes have an equalizing set of rules front and rear. While many have a percentage for hitch based on wheelbase, most are still 60" for weight from centerline of front axle (giving a longer wheelbase an advantage). Some orgs have tried to remedy this by using a distance from centerline of rear axle (some argue even this is not 100% a leveling measure as the front axle still plays a role, but I think it comes close).

Many orgs did not want guys cutting their beds to run a short (even if legal) hitch, so they came up with a distance rule that pretty much guaranteed a longish hitch irregardless of platform. 2.6 originally was a street/streetish/streetable class so I'm assuming that is why it was originally a distance vs percentage.

I agree with your WTF comment only because it is NOW a purpose built class and moreso with the addition of hand throttle and hydraulic steering, and any chance of a street truck being competitive (against those that know what they are doing) is highly unlikely, so a percentage rule would seem to make the most sense.

The only thing that may make sense is if that is what other neighboring clubs/orgs use and they are trying to keep that universal. I'm not sure if that is the case or not.

Or it could be a case (as has been the case with us), that rules end up being a compromise or made by people who don't fully understand the class.

"here in ohio you better play the lotto and win to get enough cash to be able to afford to build a dmax to be competitive in the 2.6 class with trucks from 1000 to 1200 hp!"