Another one bites the dust... Video

Ill try to be professional... CPP is garbage, they are the Ether Bros Of Performance parts sales. Horrible customer service, and horrible products. I learned my lesson years ago and to this day I continue to see people fall for their competitive pricing. Jamie and his company will never get another cent from me.

Theirs pages on Facebook just for the people who got screwed with junk stuff by cpp, should have done better research before spending your money.

All that said I went with CPP for a few reasons. They are semi-local so I could order my trans from them without having a bay tied up for days with my mechanic while also not having to pay 2k for a core charge. Also with them being semi-local I knew if something did go awry I could be on their doorstep without too much trouble. Personally I have had no issues with CPP but I’m aware many others have. In all honesty until the trans is opened up I can’t say what failed but I’m pretty sure the failure included the input shaft possibly other parts. If it’s only an input shaft it will be replaced with a mopar shaft ($800 vs Chinese $110), if it goes far beyond that I will jump on the “CPP Sucks” bandwagon.

In my opinion thus far I believe it comes down to the fact that I fought the odds and the odds won. The G-56 is a great transmission for 350hp/700tq or less; beyond that disaster is eminent no matter who builds it or sells it. I knew this going in and had planned to swap in a 48RE when (not if) this one went; I had figured I would get a little better than 6k miles out of this one however; live and learn.

The point of this post wasn’t to bash nor defend CPP but only to ask those that have been in a similar situation for some insight. I will say this however the trans was installed 23 months and 6k miles prior to failure and I was told after 1 year I have zero recourse (warranty) so I’m on my own with this one. I was nearly certain the warranty was for 2 years or 20k but I’m unable to prove that at this point.

My initial point was simply to ask “What do you think failed” and maybe a side order of suggestions on converting to automatic.

Also: does anyone find it odd that the trans failed when it wasn’t under load? The clutch was in, I was shifting from 3rd to 4th when it went out. It never made it into 4th gear, does this seem weird? Initially thought it might be the transfer case chain stretched under load and when it was released it bound up; Thoughts? What’s odd is the trans still shifts in and out of every gear just as smooth as it always has with the clutch in or out. I can let the clutch out in any gear with absolutely no grinding or crunching so that tells me it would be one of the following:

1. G56 Input shaft sheared off, clean break; gears not moving. But why doesn’t it shift perfectly clutch in or out engine running? Shouldn’t the non moving syncros keep this from happening?

2. The 273hd transfer case input shaft sheared off, clean break; trans working as it is supposed to? Seems unlikely considering the weakness of the G-56. The transfer case will still shift back and forth between 2h and 4h and N with no noise or grind.

3. The G-56 output shaft sheared off; clean break. Trans gears, syncros, and bearings are fine and spinning as they are supposed to but not spinning the transfer case. Seems less likely than scenario #1 and about as likely as scenario #2.

I have crawled under the truck and there are no leaks, cracked cases, holes, etc.

I’m not sure why I can’t edit this post for errors but scenario #1 should read “Why Does it shift perfectly”.

Autocorrect changed “does it” to doesn’t which changes the question completely.

I don’t want to quote you but the reason why it failed is because Jaime uses Chinese parts and will literally edit his warranty on the website while on the call. I went to court and actually won as I had a screenshot of the product warranty before he changed it. I know of a handful of people that have had good look with the g56. You don’t have to bash or defend him. CPP is trash, and that is why your transmission broke so easily

I don’t want to quote you but the reason why it failed is because Jaime uses Chinese parts and will literally edit his warranty on the website while on the call. I went to court and actually won as I had a screenshot of the product warranty before he changed it. I know of a handful of people that have had good look with the g56. You don’t have to bash or defend him. CPP is trash, and that is why your transmission broke so easily

holy ****:eek:wned:

Chowderhead72, after having watched the video a few times, I withdraw what I told you in PM.
It's possible the clutch came apart, or the input on the transmission just snapped.

Pull the trans and you'll find your answer pretty quick.

Mark.

Chowderhead72, after having watched the video a few times, I withdraw what I told you in PM.
It's possible the clutch came apart, or the input on the transmission just snapped.

Pull the trans and you'll find your answer pretty quick.

Mark.

My money is on the input shaft as well. With any luck that will be the end of it but I’m rarely that lucky. The grinding as it came to a stop tells me there might be some third gear shrapnel also. By the looks of it changing the input shaft should be pretty simple, third gear looks costly and time consuming.

nv5600 if you still want a manual..
Where are you located?

Just spent some time on the BBB website reading about CPP, nothing good being said on there either.......

Last edited:
My money is on the input shaft as well. With any luck that will be the end of it but I’m rarely that lucky. The grinding as it came to a stop tells me there might be some third gear shrapnel also. By the looks of it changing the input shaft should be pretty simple, third gear looks costly and time consuming.

When the shaft breaks at an angle, it comes across as a bad gear stripping sound. Good luck

When the shaft breaks at an angle, it comes across as a bad gear stripping sound. Good luck
If that does prove to be the case, plan on bearing retainer and clutch damage, as well.
That it shifts and is quiet while sitting there running, says to me that the input probably broke clean, or the clutch came apart.

I'm assuming that you DON'T have the stock dual mass clutch in it anymore?

Mark.

Damn........

If that does prove to be the case, plan on bearing retainer and clutch damage, as well.
That it shifts and is quiet while sitting there running, says to me that the input probably broke clean, or the clutch came apart.

I'm assuming that you DON'T have the stock dual mass clutch in it anymore?

Mark.

Nope... Spec “ST” which has been a great clutch. It currently has 70k of abuse on it. It’s supposed to be good for 2500lb/ft and in perfect conditions I might be at half that at best. It’s a solid hub (non-sprung) so not incredibly quiet but has been rock solid since 2007. Odd thing though it works best with stock hydros; I have a set of southbend HD’s but the throw was all wrong so when the last new tranny went in I put a new set of mopar hydros in and all was well again. I did have to replace the pilot bearing once however but beyond that no issues.

All that said if the clutch is fragged I will be installing something a little lighter duty. Clutches are cheap... G56 parts not so much....

Bearing retainer? Transmission case that holds the input shaft I assume? Not the pilot bearing on the flywheel; right? I plan on replacing the pilot either way. Cheap insurance. I’ll have to look at the input shaft case bearing.

Last edited:
Back