splitting crankshaft gear

bubba_pa

I need to get the old gear off and don't want to tear the engine down. I have read of some "splitting" the crank gear to remove.

From those who have done this, what's the best method and what are the risks involved. Putting the new gear on looks straight forward with an oven handy and the throw 3 or 4 spot welds on to prevent slipping again.

Truck runs rough at anything below 2500 rpm and the gear has slipped some. pump and injectors check out fine. Swapped back stock fuel lines and no difference. Didn't think it would be an issue, now it is.

not sure how your going to do that .. but those gears are pressed on .. i dont know of a way to take that gear off and reinstall it , without pulling the cam out ..

the cam will need to be moved out to clear the gear to reinstall and will probably need to remove the oil pump. I'm just not sure how much pounding can be done on the gear with potential for damaging the crank.

id throw a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder, or better yet use an oscillating cutter and just cut it as close as comfortable to the crank then cut the same on other side for relief, then use a chisel to crack it, done it a few times on snow mobile clutchs that strip out. thats how i do it, and im sure theres a better way but that works for me

id throw a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder, or better yet use an oscillating cutter and just cut it as close as comfortable to the crank then cut the same on other side for relief, then use a chisel to crack it, done it a few times on snow mobile clutchs that strip out. thats how i do it, and im sure theres a better way but that works for me

I would stuff a rag around around the crank to prevent any metal from getting into the oil pan if i went that route.

thanks for advice. thought about the metal filings flying everywhere and how to control.

I've got a couple of other things to check first before it comes off.

I would just pull the engine your half way there anyways then you won't have to worry about anything getting screwed up. My experience is you try to do it the easy way you end up doing it the right way in the end. Just my 2 cents.

Like wozxx said, we used a cuttoff wheel in a die grinder, cut close, then a couple taps with a chisel and its off.

If you are not planning on reusing the gear, just make it hot. It'll slide off.

To save some time and damage, I'll use a new gear. This seems like the easiest, quickest method yet. Sounds like you have some experience with this?

Thanks for all input.

p.s. know anywhere I could get a new gear and dowel pin?????

Last edited:
No chit. You have him beat by 6 months. LOL

hurr-durr-derp-face-i-see-what-you-did-there-and-there.jpg

Back