The problem with Sumps....

JasonCzerak

I gota replace my AirDog. I suppose I could use the pump before it completely dies to pump things out and into the Golfs

However, do you have any ideas how to not make a huge mess with out a truck lift and a 55 gallon drum when removing the feed line? It's not long enough to get it elevated above the tank with out unwrapping it around some things.

I gota replace my AirDog. I suppose I could use the pump before it completely dies to pump things out and into the Golfs

However, do you have any ideas how to not make a huge mess with out a truck lift and a 55 gallon drum when removing the feed line? It's not long enough to get it elevated above the tank with out unwrapping it around some things.

Buy some diesel jugs and fill them up. Kinking the hose will minimize spillage.

Yep did it for a customer who filled his tank with gas, swapped and drained everything right at the station for him.

Find someone with a steep driveway and park at the top. Run a line down the driveway to the barrel and collect the fuel. When you get done have the barrel and truck trade places and repeat the process. It's gravity Jason, not rocket science.

Find someone with a steep driveway and park at the top. Run a line down the driveway to the barrel and collect the fuel. When you get done have the barrel and truck trade places and repeat the process. It's gravity Jason, not rocket science.

Awesome!

Just get a long enough piece of hose to hold all of the diesel, coil it up at some point lower than the outlet of the sump.

Last edited:
You didn't install a ball valve on the sump outlet?

I went to Lowe's to look at ball valves to do just this. My BDP sump is 3/8 pipe thread and the hole in a 3/8 ball valve looks like it would be a major restriction? I could adapt up to a 1/2" valve but thats more fitting with the possibility of leaks? What did you use for this and what thread sealant did you use?

I went to Lowe's to look at ball valves to do just this. My BDP sump is 3/8 pipe thread and the hole in a 3/8 ball valve looks like it would be a major restriction? I could adapt up to a 1/2" valve but thats more fitting with the possibility of leaks? What did you use for this and what thread sealant did you use?

I believe you will want to get a full port ball valve.

You didn't install a ball valve on the sump outlet?

I didn't install it. I might do that while it's apart.

Buy some diesel jugs and fill them up. Kinking the hose will minimize spillage.

I have one clean jug, I could use the vice grips and fill the jug, fill a TDI and repeat till the fuel's gone.

Just so happens the new house is on a hille and the second half of the drive way is steep enough that my parking brake no longer is of any use, nor is the compression in my 01 golf in 1st gear.

Ball valve would have been awesome idea. For now I just drain with the drain plug built into it, and then do whatever I have to do downstream.

I have a barb to -10AN at the pump. If I ever need to drain, I'll unhook there above the fuel level. Drop the hose to a container and let gravity do its thing. If I need more than one can, all i need to do is hang the hose up with a bungee on the fuel door or pinch off the line. Seemed simple enough... I just gotta get it installed.

These are your friend. http://www.otctools.com/products/hose_pinch-off_pliers_set

Mark--http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MILWAUKEE-VALVE-Two-Piece-Ball-Valve-1JBA5?Pid=search

IMAG0436.jpg

McMaster-Carr part#s

46495K21 Ball Valve
$31.72

4830K178 Pipe Nipple
$7.46

Back