Timing?

Trashdawg

Master Chip Installer
What are some of the base line people set their timing at for: Drag racing, sled pulling, twins, big single, moddified injector's and such. I am at 18 now and am thinking of going up to 24.
Thanks

Not sure about stock pistons, but mine seems to like 32* for drag racing. I have a smaller pump on it and the stumble completely went away once jumped from 17* to 28*.

brandon.

Last I checked he didn't have many pictures of those...they were a little camera shy.:doh:

I'm sure we has something though:D

Signature600 said:
Last I checked he didn't have many pictures of those...they were a little camera shy.:doh:

I'm sure we has something though:D

What??? He's holdin out on us?:banned: :rules: :rules: :doh: :badidea: :soap: :evil :evil

Signature600 said:
Come to think of it...I've never seen them. WTH???

Chris
You've seen them! They're not anything too special. They kinda look like a 24v piston.

bnraodn.

I don't have access to a scope and since the head hasn't been off since I've put it on, I don't know. I'm fairly curious myself as I've been lead to believe that they're kinda suited to the marine 370 injector pattern.

brandon.

I don't remember seeing them without their special protective coating...AKA shrinkwrap.

You'll just have to take the head off so I can take a look and refresh my memory;)

Chris

The truck stumbled with less than 8.0mm of plunger lift. Once it was at 8.0mm, it no longer had the blue haze at light throttle 2000+ rpm.

brandon.

Smokem said:
Do you run it daily at 28* or 32*? And at what ambient temperature do you need either the block heater or grid heater? Thanks.
Daily at 32*. Still toasty EGTs. It needs to be plugged in IF the OAT is < 75F for more than 8 hours or my single battery doesn't like to start it.

brnadon.

joefarmer said:
Daily at 32*. Still toasty EGTs. It needs to be plugged in IF the OAT is < 75F for more than 8 hours or my single battery doesn't like to start it.

brnadon.

So let me get this straight...

You are running a 12v head with 06 pistons?

You did the 06 pistons so the centered injector (24v head) will work?

justinp20012500 said:
So let me get this straight...

You are running a 12v head with 06 pistons?

You did the 06 pistons so the centered injector (24v head) will work?
It's a slightly modified piston, I'd rather not say what was modified. However, the combination does work well and appears to spray well at greater than 7.5mm of plunger lift.

I'm running used 370 injectors and the washers that come with them from ebay for $290. +.020 marine HG. The head and block are both decked to be true. I towed a 15k payload for the 500 mile breakin period and it worked fine.

brnadon.

Last edited:
Smokem said:
So the least amount of timing you could run would be 27.5* with 0.080"(2mm) washers to keep your current spray pattern. I think I will look into the 04 HO pistons.

Looky at the 2004.5 H.O.'s:ylsuper: :ylsuper: :lolly: :evil

What do you consider "controllable EGT's", less than 2000*:D That setup is gonna get hot without more charger...unless that Schwitzer/Holset has a 64+mm wheel in front of it!

IMHO,
Chris

Back