View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
roachie

Name: roachie
Title: Taco Master
Member`s Gallery
P-Pump F.A.Q. READ THIS FIRST!!!

Seems alot of threads keep getting asking the same thing on this subject. So here is the basics for all of you considering it.

Is the swap right for me?

This has many answers. If you want 400hp, daily drive your truck, and tow, no. You would be better off with your VP. Unless the truck is operated in the middle of nowhere miles from any help it really isnt worth it. Honestly unless you want the cool factor, being under 600HP this isnt neccasary. Pullers and racers wanting over 4000rpm this is your only choice.

How much does it cost?

Some have come out money ahead in it, some have spent 10k. A parts kit will be around $1600. A new pump will run over $2000 with a core charge. Of course you can get a used engine with all the parts you need excluding the injection lines for $1500. Selling the VP stuff to recoup the money helps.

What parts do I need for the swap?

Ok, Haisley Machine, Schied, and Pured Diesel Power sell conversion sets. Basically you will need a Pump, 12v gear cover, P-pump drive gear, throttle linkage, intake horn spacer, P-pump bracket (2 pieces), 12V throttle cable, and a set of custom injector lines. Get stainless steel lines, unless the truck is a dedicated puller. If your truck is an 01-02 you will need a cam sensor relocation bracket from haisley.

Buying a complete 12V would be the easiest thing.

Can I do this myself?

This depends on your mechanical ability. If changing injectors is a big deal, you dont need to do this. If you can swap cams in a 5.9 then you can do the actual swap. Dont lie, either you can or cant. You also need to be familar with the 12V and 24V fuel system.

If you cant do the swap expect to pay $1200-2500 in labor.

You will also need some fabrcation skills.

How hard is it to tune?

Again, depends on your personal experience. You dont bolt on a pump and drive. It will require some work. Most trucks like around 19* some like more depending on your injectors and pump. AFC will need tweeked with other things wastegate, govenor, ect.

What do I do about injectors?

Thats a delima. The quick fix is to reset the pop pressure on your injectors. 280-300 BAR seems to be the norm. I ran mine at VP pressure, picked up about 80hp with the correct pressure. Some companies make injectors specific to this application. Just call your prefered shop and talk to them.

What is the best P-pump to use?

Um, one that works. Really, if its a driver anything is fine. YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE A 215 TO MAKE POWER. Its been proven that a 160 will make all you want on a street truck. If your building a Competition Diesel, a 215 will be a better pump. So will a 13mm, really depends on your budget and hp level.

What do I need to do to the P-pump?

Again, depends on the application. If your granpa and want to haul your camper, 3000 RPM Govener Spring Kit and a #6 plate will be all you need.

Alternately if you want to make some numbers a 4GSK, laser cuts (or 191's), with some AFC mods, a 100 plate, and a rack plug. With proper tuning that will get you to 600hp.

Will my juice work one the truck after the swap.

Leave us.

What do I do about my electronics?

Ok if you want the gauges to work again you will need to keep you cam sensor/ crank sensor. 98.5-00 will just use the crank sensor, 01-02 will need the cam sensor. This does more than run your tach. Without it, the dash, A/C, charging system, and cruise will not work.

What do I do with my ECM?

Bracket will need to be fabricated to hold the ECM. An inverted "T" bolted to the brake booster will work. Use your imagination, keep clear of the stearing shaft and other lines.

What fuel pump do I use?

If you bought an aftermarket cam with a fuel pump lobe you can use a 12V lift pump. Otherwise you can use any electic fuel pump that is able to supply 35+ psi (Fass, Air Dog, ect.)

Will my cruise control work?

This is varying with your truck. If your truck has a vacuum cruise control system then YES. The Throttle Position Sensor will need to be connected to the TPS, as will the cable from the Cruise unit. Some 01-02's had Fly-by-Wire cruise. As of right now Im not sure if that can be converted to a vacuum type unit. If enought parts are swaped it can be done.

I have an automatic, how do I keep it functioning?

The TPS and TV cable will need to be connected to the throttle.

How is the drivability?

This is impossible to answer. It depends on your setup and personal taste. I will tell you that you will not have near the low end torque of a VP44.

How much HP will I make?

300-1500hp. Depends on your wallet.

Last part.

Those of you on the fence about doing this, this should have answered all your questions. Anything I havent covered ask in this thread an we will do out best to answer it.

Above all, use the search button and READ.

Last edited by roachie; 07-19-2009 at 09:20 PM.