Aftermarket trans cooler help??

Smitty256

Too Much Time
I'm converting my truck from manual to auto and wondering what kind of coolers would be good to use? I've seen hundreds of them and need some help on what is the "best" out there or beat for the buck. It will be a full billet unit so I will need a good one. Also what fans? How many? And advise is appreciated

I'm converting my truck from manual to auto and wondering what kind of coolers would be good to use? I've seen hundreds of them and need some help on what is the "best" out there or beat for the buck. It will be a full billet unit so I will need a good one. Also what fans? How many? And advise is appreciated

I've had good luck with Derale. They have ones with fans mounted on them.

I'm running a derale cooler believed to be the 13950 as an auxiliary in series with my front factory cooler. I don't really see temps above 110 daily driving and never over 180 playing hard. You will need to size accordingly. One cooler will probably not be enough to keep the trans happy. If running one in front of the intercooler you won't need a fan assembly but the ones with fans mounted makes it nice for mounting them wherever youd like.
IMG_1064_zpslxwkiv2m.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsgsldklji.jpg

I use one the size of a small radiator,
NASCAR parts are cheap around here, so I got one that was used on a short track (less fpi), threw two fans from a Ford Taurus on it.
Stupid big cooler for under $200.

I use one the size of a small radiator,
NASCAR parts are cheap around here, so I got one that was used on a short track (less fpi), threw two fans from a Ford Taurus on it.
Stupid big cooler for under $200.

I love those old taurus fans! Low and High speed, and cost like $10 at a junk yard!

I plan to run a derale 15960 cooler by itself on my new tow rig and put it under the bed by the fuel filler neck. B&m has a right up if you google types of transmission coolers it breaks down the three types and the pros and cons of each.

I run the db double cooler setup and love it. I would like to plum in the front one again just to see the difference in temp. Only time I get hot is with a loaded trailer from light to light in town.

Thanks to the OP for posting. We will be selling autos and installing. My daughters truck, lil' Nellie, had the rh and all we had to cool it was one of the Derale coolers with fan. Setting in traffic in town on a hot day, she would go above 180. We wired it in with the thermostatic switch.

If we chose to tow, I would want three of these coolers in line. Ultimately, a good, large surface area with lots of cooling tubes is the ticket.

I have a Derale 15870 under the bed, and a B&m 70266 infront of the intercooler in place of the factory cooler. I don't even have the fan hooked up yet and the hottest I've seen was 160, while making multiple hits up and down the road. With Goerends 17 stall left cut converter which Dave says runs hotter than his regular converters.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a flex a lite tube and fin cooler up in front of the radiator, and then a derale atomic or hyper cooler whichever was the 25pass plate cooler mounted on the bottom of the cab. 90% of the time the trans is between 100° and 140° occasionally in town or after I park it it gets up to 180°, but I haven't seen any higher than that.

Flex-a-lite FLX-3953 is the cooler I put in front of the radiator. I'm running 1/2" line and I have it running to the cooler up front then back to the derale under the back of the cab. I also ran wires from the thermostatic switch to a toggle so a couple minutes before I get to my destination I kick the fan on, or if I just see the temp getting a little hot I can flip the fan on the rear cooler.

Back