View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #60
RSieck

Name: RSieck
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
A couple of thoughts on your rules from my perspective. Overall, I like the class breakdown. I don't understand why if it's any single would you restrict to smooth bore? or are you saying there's a specific spec size like it has to be a 3.0 or 3.6?

I get concerned with weights being down at 7000-7500 pounds. It's difficult to get diesel trucks down to 7500 with stock frame and metal body. Same with 7000 for a tube chassis and fiberglass body. It can be done but when you have a 158" wheel base you need to put more weight out front. Folks already have a really hard time getting the power to the track in SS and with little weight on the front end you chatter the tires often which results in a broken locker almost every time.

I like weight break downs that would be closer to 8200-8500, 7800-8000, and 7500-7700. This way more guys can get into the entry level classes with more stock trucks and the higher classes can get the power to the ground while still leaving the need to "drive and set-up" the truck.

I'm not sure why I typed smooth bore to be honest, it was probably already on my mind after working on the 2.6 smooth rules for our club. I don't have a preference to any particular size charger, just any single. But hanging a single 5.5" charger meant for a 680cu prostock on a 460cu motor probably won't work out that great..lol

The weight argument is kinda a toss up for me. I know that a diesel is going to weigh more than a gasser, but when you start throwing around tube frames and fiberglass bodies, that weight can drop pretty quick. I'm still in favor of not going over 8000lb for any sanctioned diesel truck class.

I was basing my assumptions by comparing the ssd4x4 trucks to the sm4x4 trucks, but didn't realize that there was almost 24-25" difference in wheelbase. I assumed they were all 158". Didn't know this till looking at the PPL rulebook while writing this post. So, yes, getting to light will be detrimental to driveline parts.
www.ecitpa.net