View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
im working on putting a he351 compressor wheel onto my HX35. I bought the he351 cover too hoping that it would fit, but the V-band flange is much smaller than the HX backing plate. so can't do that. What I am going to try is to machine the backing plate a little bigger so the wheel fits in it. Also going to carve out the HX35 cover so the bigger wheel fits inside. It looks like the 351 wheel is longer than the HX35 wheel so im going to shave a little off the front and back side. pics to follow.

Lets clean up this thread a little. I agree that you have a He351ve off a 6.7 aka VGT turbo. Your "HX35" looks like any other H1C that I have seen, where did you find HX35 marked on the turbo?

My 99' HX35 had a snap ring not a v-band for the compressor cover.

My 2005 He351cw had a snap ring not a v-band compressor cover.

To those saying why doesn't he use the 6.7's HE351ve in it's stock configuration, the exhaust housing inlet is a unique size and will not bolt up. The only person I have seen with this turbo welded a plate to a stock manifold so new bolt holes could be drilled and tapped etc. The flange is a hybrid in size between a T-3, T-4, and T-6 but it's close enough to the stock T-3 size that bolts interfere and conflict in such a way that a one piece adapter flange is not feasible. The compressor outlet is different than stock location so it would require new cold piping. The exhaust outlet is different and so the stock 6.7 cast elbow and portion of downpipe would have to be rigged up. And last but not least, he would have to rig up a way to control the variable geometry or fix it at a certain size that ultimately is a compromise between spool-up and top end flow.

The easiest way to make this project work is to buy a HX40 compressor housing from HTT or Gillette Diesel. Since the "HX35" turbo in this project appears to be a H1C, buy a "hybrid compressor cover" that has a v-band flange sized to fit the H1C compressor backing plate.

I suspect a real HX35 and HE351cw=04.5-07 5.9's could be made into a hybrid with simple maching to the HX 35 backing plate to accept the larger diameter exducer on the HE compressor wheel and then a suitable retrofit charge air cold pipe would be required.
OEM 12v Block