extreme rebuild kit....HELP

i`m gonna make sure i get the part overnighted...man i need this truck back for my business.

I`ll tell ya what really rubs me the wrong way is if this is common knowledge then why wouldn`t they include one with the kit...heck it seams to have everything else needed.

^^^^^ THANK YOU ^^^^^

so what is sounds like is there are 2 things that can be done at this point....

- leave out the wavy ring to allow an additional clutch & steel
or
- get the machined reaction plate & install all of the included clutches

or now that i`m thinking about it maybe its a combination of the two....either way i should have done alot more research before the truck went down & maybe i would have had it worked out by now, but i thought a complete rebuild kit came as stated. oh well one way or another it`ll get worked out.

well its all back together and shifts throught the gears great at low throttle....but now there is a rpm flare between the 3-4 shift almost like a stick car when you miss a shift but as soon as i back out of the throttle & re-apply it shifts & holds the gear great.

any thoughts.

yes i did, he was a help for sure but the original problem wasn`t assembly at all...ended up being a poorly milled accumulator that came with the kit....put the plastic stocker back in it & it shifted fine..( kinda) must be that the billet accumilator is just miiled outta spec by a hair because nce it was installed it would not move...had to use pliers to remove it.

I`m still on all stock tuning & it has a flare between the 3-4 shift & i`ve been reading on here & it sounds like it may just need a rear band adjustment??????

Ernie said the 3-4 spring may be missing in the VB......WTF if it was missing it wouldn`t shift at all.

If you have a flare, it's possible that your "local tranny shop" didn't install the correct thickness of spacer shim on the overdrive apply piston. This is in the rear section of the transmission so the whole tranny doesn't have to be removed to work on it, however, it is easier to just pull the whole thing and work on it on the bench.

Every rebuild manual out there tells you to measure the direct/overdrive clutch pack and then install the correct thickness of spacer depending on your measurement.

The overdrive apply piston releases the direct/overdrive clutch at the same time it apply the overdrive/brake clutch. If the spacer is the wrong thickness, the timing of release and apply will be off.

It's also possible that the overdrive/brake clutch pack is not correctly installed so it's taking longer to engage the clutch pack.

One way to gather more information on the problem is to drive around with a gauge hooked up to the overdrive port and see what the pressure looks like when it's making the 3-4 shift.

Last edited:
Back