BMW 335d 11.84 at 119mph!

...wander what it would do 1000lbs lighter?

'The ultimate driving machine'

I took a stock one out for a test drive. I was up near 115 without ever realizing it. I had a WRX pull up next to me on the highway and I put 3 car lengths on him. Instant throttle response and a dirty amount of torque to the rear wheels.

I nearly bought it on the spot.

I took a stock one out for a test drive. I was up near 115 without ever realizing it. I had a WRX pull up next to me on the highway and I put 3 car lengths on him. Instant throttle response and a dirty amount of torque to the rear wheels.

I nearly bought it on the spot.

What year?

What year?

2011 335D RWD with the M Sport package. They have a bunch of EGR and emissions issues, but under warranty they'll fix them and after warranty, Go WILD.

Only reason I didn't do it was because of the light tan seats.

IMG_0830_zps5fdig8pv.jpg

Last edited:
The prices are starting to come down on the 2009-2011 335d models. I am very tempted to replace the Jetta TDI with one!!! I have been eyeballing them since they were new in '09. I was still with Diesel Builder magazine back then and had the 335d and X5 35d for a week each to review and they are both VERY nice vehicles!!!

I am leery of the emissions systems on a used one though... Anyone have any first hand reliability experience with one???

Does anyone offer any parts for these things besides tunes and exhaust? I did some quick research and can't really find anything.

The prices are starting to come down on the 2009-2011 335d models. I am very tempted to replace the Jetta TDI with one!!! I have been eyeballing them since they were new in '09. I was still with Diesel Builder magazine back then and had the 335d and X5 35d for a week each to review and they are both VERY nice vehicles!!!

I am leery of the emissions systems on a used one though... Anyone have any first hand reliability experience with one???

I had talked to a guy selling his and he said RUN. But he also didn't know anything about the deletes. He said his was in twice (under warranty) for complete DPF and EGR clog/failure. My thing is, if I buy one it will have a warranty and I will get rid of it before it is out of warranty.

Does anyone offer any parts for these things besides tunes and exhaust? I did some quick research and can't really find anything.

Apparently there are delete downpipes and intercoolers available as well as tunes and a pretty inexpensive module that is probably like a non-adjustable TS Performance MP-8 to boost HP and TQ for less than $300. Other than that I think anything else would probably be custom as of now...

I had talked to a guy selling his and he said RUN. But he also didn't know anything about the deletes. He said his was in twice (under warranty) for complete DPF and EGR clog/failure. My thing is, if I buy one it will have a warranty and I will get rid of it before it is out of warranty.

Ya, it seems like people are having carbon build up issues from the EGR and such that require cleaning the intake manifold and intake ports in the head. Seems pretty costly and it seems that low mileage models might be more likely to have issues that ones that were driven a lot... The short trips are probably hard on them like any emissions controlled diesel. I wonder what his mileage/driving use of the car was???

You can get BMW Certified PreOwned 335d cars still, but they are about $5,000 to $7,000 more than a non-CPO car and I'm not positive that the DPF, EGR and intake cleaning are even covered under the warranty. Seems like guys have done the cleaning themselves. Injectors seem to be priced around the same as most CR diesels at about $500 each. I wonder if the guys at S&S could do performance injectors for the car??? Also, I think it uses a Bosch CP3 not the CP4 that the VW TDIs are having problems with so the fuel system should be pretty reliable.

The driving dynamics and engine performance of the car are light years ahead of even a modified VW TDI which is one of the things that makes them so darn appealing!!! I have seen used high mileage ones as low as $16,000-17,000 and low mileage ones from $25,000-29,000. Who knows, I may get rid of the Jetta TDI and get a 335d. Would anyone want to see articles on the car if I did get one???? Or are they still too expensive to hotrod???:doh:

I think they would be real fun in the bracket class at the ODSS events!!!:rockwoot:

I think it uses a Bosch

They have a Bosch CP4.2 injection pump. I have two of the M57 engines tore completely apart.

Some info on the cars and engines can be had over on Bimmerfest and E90post forum has some real experts.

We've put off getting a 335D. We test drove a 2011 and I loved the power. I just can't quite get over the 'if you hit a deer' question with this car. Regardless of year, the insurance would have to be high due to the cost of replacement parts?????

Now you guys have me intrigued. Looking online, I found an '09 with 83k km (52k miles) for $20k. The two things that turn me off is auto only, and 36-38 mpg (thats compared to my TDI that has gotten over 52 mpg several times). But everything I've read about how it drives has me thinking of adding another vehicle to the fleet. Damn you all!

May be auto only but they have a drive, sport, and manual shift features and the M-sports have paddle shift. They drive awesome but I would be interested to know what all can be done to squeeze some more power out one.

They have a Bosch CP4.2 injection pump. I have two of the M57 engines tore completely apart.

Some info on the cars and engines can be had over on Bimmerfest and E90post forum has some real experts.

We've put off getting a 335D. We test drove a 2011 and I loved the power. I just can't quite get over the 'if you hit a deer' question with this car. Regardless of year, the insurance would have to be high due to the cost of replacement parts?????

The CP4.2 scares me, I thought the BMWs used the CP3... The CP4.2 is the one that is failure prone in the VW CR TDIs and it takes out the entire fuel system with it from what I hear!

Ya I'm sure insurance is pricey with it too!!!

How much does it cost to rebuild the engine? There is one on ebay right now with a hydrolocked engine for around $10,000 if I remember correctly. What went wrong that you are having to rebuild the engines??? Common problem or freak incidents?

He was building them to a big level to put in Bodacious (D50 mud, drag, street truck) to replace the cummins! :eek: Pretty sure he was/is going mechanical injection (a-pump maybe?) if I followed his thread correctly.

Last edited:
No modern injection pump should scare you any more than another.

Use a lubricity additive, and feed it good clean fuel

No modern injection pump should scare you any more than another.

Use a lubricity additive, and feed it good clean fuel

I would have to disagree with that, look at all off the cp4 failures. Just because it's modern doesn't mean it can't have a design flaw or corners weren't cut in the design to save money.

As far as the 335d goes, don't buy one without a warranty. These cars are ungodly expensive to work on.

Last edited:
6.7 Fords run a CP4. Not a problematic pump in that application.

I hear "be careful, those injection pumps are fragile and they'll take out the entire fuel system" about every common rail application.

My experience with the super fragile fuel systems on the 6.4 and 6.7 Fords has been stellar, and I constantly hear how crappy they are.

I'm not a Ford guy, but I personally know several Duramax owners who have had it happen. I don't actually know anyone that's had a cp3 do the same. I'm not saying it's never happened, just that the cp4's have a reputation for a reason. You're totally correct that each application is different and it may not be an issue with the BMW's. I'd still suggest the warranty.

Back